Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: Ethernet Not Connecting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hi,

I've got a server running ubuntu, for file & web, it has been working fine ever since I set it up. Although recently the ethernet adaptor in it has stopped working, meaning that in order to make it connect to the network I have to de-activate & then activate it.

I can't understand what's causing this, since it was working one time, then when I rebooted it just went.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Lee :)

Quote:Hi,I've got a server running ubuntu, for file & web, it has been working fine ever since I set it up. Although recently the ethernet adaptor in it has stopped working, meaning that in order to make it connect to the network I have to de-activate & then activate it.

I can't understand what's causing this, since it was working one time, then when I rebooted it just went.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Lee :)

What do you mean by deactivate and reactivate - as in plug in a cable and unplug it, or is it a wireless card and you're switching on and off?

Quote:What do you mean by deactivate and reactivate - as in plug in a cable and unplug it, or is it a wireless card and you're switching on and off?
I need to go into System>Administration>Networking Then click the Ethernet Connection, Choose Deactivate then click Activate

Also all the adaptor is set to

Code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

in /etc/network/interfaces

Hmmm...

I have no idea what is causing this, but I have a (rather hacky) potential solution.

This is probably a really bad way to do it, so if someone more experienced has a better idea, then please listen to them and not me. :)

From the terminal:

Code:
sudo crontab -e

In the editor, press i and then type the following:

Code:
0 * * * * ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0

That will automatically stop and restart the connection every hour. This might be over the top, but it should work.

Now press Esc and type :wq followed by Enter (this saves the file and quits the editor).

Let us know if you have any luck - or if you don't! :P

Thanks,

I've just done that and restarted it, hopefully ethernet should kick in itself soon :)

Update: That didn't seem to work, I'm just wondering wheather I should just do a fresh install, which should be quite painless

Have you figured this one out yet?

Ok, it seems the problem has been solved.

If anybody else needs help with this, please post it here, and I'll dig up the solution.