Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: CNR for all !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:CNR - Coming Soon to a Distro Near You! 

by Kevin Carmony

January 23rd, 2007

One of the biggest complaints I hear from MS Windows and Mac users about Linux, is that there are too many distributions, each with their own installation system. Desktop Linux isn't like MS Windows or Mac, where you can simply go hunting on the Internet (or at your local computer store), find a piece of interesting software, and quickly install it. With desktop Linux, you must first find the program, if it's even supported to begin with, then hope they've provided the right files and installation process for "your" particular Linux distribution. (.deb files, .rpm files, .tar.gz files etc.) It's all far too complicated for the average person, and it's no wonder they shy away from Linux. To see what I mean, just take a look at the download page for GIMP, one of the most popular open source applications: [/url]http://gimp.org/downloads .

When we started Linspire, we knew that we'd need to overcome this complexity. This led to Linspire's CNR ("Click 'N Run") technology. CNR does dozens of things to make finding, installing and managing software on your desktop computer extremely easy. CNR makes finding the right piece of software easy with user reviews, charts, screenshots, descriptions, friendly names, and so on. Once you've found what you're looking for, with literally one click, the software is installed to your computer and icons added to your desktop and Launch Menu. CNR then notifies you when updates are available, which you can then install with one click. (Visit: [url=http://www.linspire.com/gimp2.0]http://www.linspire.com/gimp2.0 Notice the differences?)

Even non-Linspire/Freespire users agree that CNR is an extremely easy, yet powerful system. Just think if this same system for finding and installing software worked for ALL desktop Linux distributions. This would not only bring Linux on par with MS Windows and Mac, but help catapult it beyond these systems. What once was one of Linux's biggest weaknesses, would suddenly become a strength and a key selling point for those considering desktop Linux.

Well, that time has come. This week we announced that CNR will soon be available for many of the most popular desktop Linux distributions, not just Linspire and Freespire. In addition to Linspire and Freespire, the first distributions you'll see supported throughout this year are (alphabetically): Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, and Ubuntu.

Linspire will be launching a new website, www.cnr.com, which will become the new home for all things CNR. When fully launched, CNR.com will house a completely improved CNR Warehouse. Other distributions will be able to download the necessary "plugin" for their particular distribution to enable one-click installation from CNR.com. I don't have space here to share all the exciting improvements and changes coming to CNR, but if you visit CNR.com now, you'll find a lot of great information, screenshots, FAQs, and even a forum to start discussing the new, multi-distro CNR.

Why now?

Making CNR available for other distributions has been one of the most often made suggestions we've heard over the years, and I too have always believed it to be a very good idea. However, there were two main reasons we didn't feel the time was right to make CNR available for other distributions, until now. First, we had our hands full just building and refining the CNR technology over the past five years with the Linspire and Freespire distributions. We knew expanding the system beyond our own distributions would take a substantial amount of work and require a revamped multi-distribution capable CNR. We knew adding support for .rpm-based systems (not just Debian) would prove particularly challenging. About a year ago, we felt the time was right to start working on such a CNR system. When we started this work, it definitely taxed our resources, and our old CNR system was strained as we moved resources to redesigning CNR for multi-distributions. This work is now about complete, and will benefit not only the new distributions supported, but Linspire and Freespire users will also see a much enhanced, improved and more reliable CNR system. For example, a key difference they will see is our ability to keep software in the CNR Warehouse updated and current in a much more timely fashion.

Second, there were just too many Linux distributions, each with a very small market share. There was too much volatility in the distributions, and the popularity of each changed monthly. Today, however, leaders have started to emerge. The popularity of Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, and Ubuntu, give each a sizable user base, making it easier to minimize the number of different distributions CNR must support initially while, still servicing a large number of users.

I know many of you will have a lot of questions, such as:

Which distributions will be supported?

Will the CNR Service remain free?

Why is Linspire doing this? Isn't CNR a big competitive advantage for promoting their Linspire and Freespire distributions?

Has Linspire met with and worked with leaders from the other distributions as they have built CNR.com?

How is the new CNR.com system different from the old CNR previously used with Linspire and Freespire?

I already have a CNR Gold Service subscription for Linspire. Will this work with the new CNR.com?

Does this mean that Linspire is getting out of the Linux distribution business to focus on CNR.com?

To answer these and many other questions, we've included an extensive FAQ section at the CNR.com site. I'd encourage each of you to visit CNR.com and take a look around. The site won't be fully launched until the 2nd Quarter of this year, but there is a lot of information there now that will help answer many of your questions.

By shielding the user from the complexities of finding and installing Linux software, it is our hope that CNR.com will be the beginning of making desktop Linux easier for everyone to start using. I look forward to hearing your ideas, thoughts and suggestions, as Linspire ventures into this new and exciting territory.

- Kevin
I'm so stoked about this, you have no idea. I saw this on digg and since I work at Best Buy, I've gotten copies of Linspire five-o thrust upon me to try and to help me sell it to people. What are your thoughts on this, Anyweb?
it's cool, i've looked at linspire in the past but i always go back to Fedora :)
Quote:If this message is not displaying properly, visit www.linspire.com/cnr_newsletter.php to launch it in your browser 

SEARCH:

Warehouse Hits

Top 5 CNR Downloads

1. Firefox

2. Adobe Acrobat Rea...

3. MP3 Player

4. amaroK

5. Lphoto

Best Sellers

Top 5 Click and Buys

1. Lassist Reminders

2. DH: Lore Invasion

3. Marble Blast Gold

4. StarOffice 8

5. Sketsa

Recently Refreshed

Latest Updates

1. DH: Lore Invasion

2. StarOffice 8

3. Gorky17

4. X2 - The Threat

5. MindRover

Dear CNR Subscriber,

There has been exciting news lately regarding Linspire and CNR:

Last week, Canonical and Linspire announced plans for a technology partnership that integrates core competencies from each company into the other's open source Linux offerings. Read more.

Two weeks prior to this announcement, Linspire announced its plans to standardize software installation across Linux distributions by expanding the popular CNR digital CNR software management service to support several of the most popular desktop Linux distributions in 2007. Read more.

New Releases

CrossOver Office Standard Edition CrossOver Office allows you to install your favorite Windows productivity applications and plugins in Linspire, without needing a Microsoft Operating System CD or license. CrossOver includes an easy to use, single click interface, which makes installing a Windows application simple and fast.

enigma Enigma is a puzzle game similar to Oxyd on the Atari ST or Rock'n'Roll on the Amiga and good old Marble Madness. In Enigma, your objective is to locate and uncover matching pairs of Oxyd stones. Simple as it sounds, this task is made more difficult by the fact that Oxyd stones tend to be hidden, inaccessible or protected by unexpected traps. Overcoming these obstacles often requires a lot of dexterity and wit.Enigma is widely considered one of the most addictive, polished and free puzzle games.

SageTV Watch and record TV on your PC! Watch, search and browse for your favorite online video on your TV with the touch of a remote..Never miss your favorite shows, record one time or record a whole season automatically.

amaroK amaroK is a soundsystem-independent music player for Linux. Its intuitive and efficient user interface, unparalleled playlist handling and lightning fast music catalog help you to rediscover your music.

The Battle for Wesnoth Battle for Wesnoth is a fantasy turn-based strategy game. Battle for control of villages, using variety of units which have advantages and disadvantages in different types of terrains and against different types of attacks. Units gain experience and advance levels, and are carried over from one scenario to the next campaign. Build a Hero, and lead your army. Different races, with distinctive abilities, weapons and spells.

What is CNR.com?

Launching in the 2nd Quarter of 2007, CNR.com is a new web site that makes CNR technology available for the other popular desktop Linux distributions, not just Linspire and Freespire. The goal of CNR.com is to normalize the process of finding and installing software for desktop Linux users, regardless of which distribution they are using.

The CNR.com site provides names, descriptions, screenshots, user reviews, specifications, source code, developer information, and so on, for tens of thousands of Linux software applications, packages and libraries. Anyone can freely browse CNR.com to research and find desktop Linux software. CNR.com also allows you to install any of the software programs to any of the supported distributions, all with just one click. Learn more here.

If you'd like to be notified when CNR.com goes live, click here.

We are located at 5960 Cornerstone Court West, Suite 200. San Diego, CA 92121

Linspire, CNR and the CNR Warehouse are trademarks of Linspire, Inc. All other company and product names may be the trademarks of their respective owners.