Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: How do I get parted working?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Okay, after having some problems installing parted, I finally got it to work with yum (I'm on fedora core 6).

But after the installation, I have no clue where parted is, how to find where it is, or how to use it since it has to be there!

Quote:Installed: parted.i386 0:1.8.1-1.fc6 parted.x86_64 0:1.8.1-1.fc6Complete!

[root@localhost /]# parted

bash: parted: command not found
So can anyone help me with this? My kernel version is 2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 

Oh right, also, I recently updated my kernel version to that, and my old kernel version is still showing up in grub. How can I delete this? Thanks very much for anything and everything!!!

Code:
[root@syztem tmp]# rpmextract.sh '/tmp/parted-devel-1.6.22-3.FC4.ppc.rpm'
./usr/include/parted
./usr/include/parted/constraint.h
./usr/include/parted/debug.h
./usr/include/parted/device.h
./usr/include/parted/disk.h
./usr/include/parted/exception.h
./usr/include/parted/filesys.h
./usr/include/parted/geom.h
./usr/include/parted/gnu.h
./usr/include/parted/linux.h
./usr/include/parted/natmath.h
./usr/include/parted/parted.h
./usr/include/parted/timer.h
./usr/lib/libparted.a
./usr/share/aclocal/parted.m4

according that listing, it appears that parted is distributed in library format only ...

i don't use fedora, but there should be a gparted package, there gparted is a very fast gui frontend to the pared libs.

as to the grub issue,

you might wanna modify the /boot/grub/menu.lst ... (i dunno if that's where it is in fedora,); if not , then you can try

Code:
cd /
find | grep menu.lst

or look in /etc for grub.conf, o somethign similar....

if ur not sure how to edit this, if necessary, then post it's contents ...

i'll keep an eye on this forum for the next few , but someone else will reply i'm sure.

Hi,

parted is usally located in the /usr/sbin directory i.e. /usr/sbin/parted

Be very careful when using parted as it does not ask you to confirm if you want to make changes when using it,

it will automatically write the changes to the hard disk as you are issuing the commands and your system does

no even need a reboot for the partitions to take effect.

Code:
[root@localhost /]# parted
bash: parted: command not found

This is most likely because you have not become root 'correctly'. When you su to become root you should do it like this:

Code:
[user@localhost ~]$ su -

Notice the little - hyphen at the end, this will set-up the shell environment as well. Then you will find parted and other super user utilities.

Quote:Oh right, also, I recently updated my kernel version to that, and my old kernel version is still showing up in grub. How can I delete this? Thanks very much for anything and everything!!!

fedora core release 6 will always keep the current and previous kernel listed in grub.

to edit this, login as root

Code:
su -

open the file with an editor

Code:
vi /boot/grub/grub.conf

to list/edit them

you could theoretically rem out the older kernel, it won't delete it but won't show it either at boot time,

id recommend that you always KEEP the previous kernel because sometimes a kernel update can break something/some program you have spent ages getting to work, in that case, you can always revert back to the previous kernel easily

cheers

anyweb