Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: xkill in terminal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hey, I've used KDE for about three days and already tried experimenting to get used to it, as i've been a hopeless Windows user for my entire life... Shocking, I know :P

Now, anyway, my Firefox browser (like there is any other) crashed and I couldn't figure out how to kill it, so I used the "xkill" command, which worked great! However... I had Firefox minimized and thus clicked on the bottom "start-bar line" to remove it. Suddenly I was sitting there with only icons on my desktop and no startline! Firefox still running... well, sort of... ^^,

I got it back by restarting, but is there a way to "load" it again on the fly using the terminal?

Help will be very much appreciated!

On pre-hand; Thanks! (Not even sure pre-hand is a word... o.O)

hi and welcome to the forums !

you can try restarting X which will restart KDE but not the computer

press CTRL_ALT and BACKSPACE together

cheers

anyweb

Quote:hi and welcome to the forums ! 

you can try restarting X which will restart KDE but not the computer

press CTRL_ALT and BACKSPACE together

cheers

anyweb
Thanks, anyweb. I'll keep bothering you if more problems appear ;) ;)

Worked great, thank you! Althought, it requires me to login. I can still live with that. ;) *Bows*

I'll still appreciate it if anyone knows a command I can run to load the bottom start-bar, without having to log in again, very much like you can use "run explorer" in the "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" window (Already forgot what that window is called :)) to "reload" the windows graphical interface. :)

This in theory will do as you say (this will kill the current taskbar & panels and reload them).

Press Alt-F2 to bring up Run Command, and enter:

Code:
killall kicker;sleep 1s;kicker &

and that should restart everything.

Quote:This in theory will do as you say (this will kill the current taskbar & panels and reload them). 

Press Alt-F2 to bring up Run Command, and enter:

Code:
killall kicker;sleep 1s;kicker &

<div>

and that should restart everything.

</div>
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but wouldn't the "sleep" command restart the computer itself?

nope

the sleep command simply WAITS for X number of seconds

eg:

sleep 3s;

waits around doing nothing for 3 seconds.

cheers

anyweb

Quote:Forgive my lack of knowledge, but wouldn't the "sleep" command restart the computer itself?

Just further to what anyweb said, the reason I put sleep in there was because without it sometimes it doesn't work as the panels haven't finished closing yet. So we close the panels, wait a second for everything to clear up, then reload them.