Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: fluxbox and aterm questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

welll im back to linux again haha and since i havent used it in a long time i kinda forgot a lot of the stuff. i forgot how to configure aterm completly... :S would be nice if someone could hook me up with some nice tutorials or tell me how to.. >_> lol and also, for fluxbox.. how do i configure how it looks, use tabs, add back grounds, and desktop icons etc... i know ur suppose to use idesk and or rox but i cant seem to get it from yum.... it says not found etc... (im using fedora core 5) like the general file that configures the apperience of fluxbox... and yea.. im extreamly noob so if its not too much to ask for.. plz go into a little bit more detail when explaining things cause im one ezly confused guy lol

edit: oh yea also i tried downloading a theme from [/url][url=http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/themes.php]http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/themes.php and when i applied it it was completly off etc.. wut do i need to change and stuff for it to look nicer?

thx in advance

speX

Quote:welll im back to linux again haha and since i havent used it in a long time i kinda forgot a lot of the stuff. i forgot how to configure aterm completly... :S would be nice if someone could hook me up with some nice tutorials or tell me how to.. >_> lol and also, for fluxbox.. how do i configure how it looks, use tabs, add back grounds, and desktop icons etc... i know ur suppose to use idesk and or rox but i cant seem to get it from yum.... it says not found etc... (im using fedora core 5) like the general file that configures the apperience of fluxbox... and yea.. im extreamly noob so if its not too much to ask for.. plz go into a little bit more detail when explaining things cause im one ezly confused guy lol 

edit: oh yea also i tried downloading a theme from [/url][url=http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/themes.php]http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/themes.php and when i applied it it was completly off etc.. wut do i need to change and stuff for it to look nicer?

thx in advance

speX

Woohoo! welcome back. One of the best Fluxbox sources it the Fluxbox Wiki. When you say configure aterm properly, what are you looking to set for it?

For instance .. make transparent, remove scrollbar and borders.

Code:
aterm -tr +sb -borderLess

You only need idesk if you want to put icons on the desktop, you only need rox if you don't have something like nautilus or konqueror installed.

for instance:

Code:
nautilus --no-desktop

Will be a good enough file browser.

For the themes you need to install them in ~/.fluxbox/styles, normally the images for the backgrounds are expected in ~/.fluxbox/backgrounds. Also most of the styles use fbsetbg make sure you have it installed. I would also suggest installing Eterm so you can get Esetroot which is a great background setter.

Ok, hope that directs you anyway, ask more q's if you have them!

cool thx but i got a few more question/problems when i try to install eterm and idesk i keep getting dependencie issues like for eterm i keep getting

Code:
error: Failed dependencies:
    imlib2-loader_jpeg is needed by Eterm-0.9.4-1.i386
    imlib2-loader_png is needed by Eterm-0.9.4-1.i386
    libast.so.2 is needed by Eterm-0.9.4-1.i386

also when i try to change/add stuff to the fluxbox menu every time i restart it resets itself... how do i get it to completly save... another thing is.. how do i set up tabs?

spex

if you are using fedora .. then you should be able to do:

Code:
yum install Eterm

or it might be 'eterm'.

You can enable tabs in the Settings section of the menu.

cool i got that stuff working now :) but now i got one last problem hopefully.... lol when i edit the menu file and change the fluxbox menu etc... it changes np but when i restart its gone.. same with eterm after i configure it... i have to load up the ./Xdefaults file every time at start up... how can i make it save so its like that even at restart?