Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: Log-In Problems and Transfer Linux Files on Hard Disk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hi Stalwarts of Linux,

I stumbled across this forum today, liked it, so joined it. it looks like Simple , Serious Pros are here. I am Using Linux RHLE4 alongwith Win-XP (Dual boot). It was a failure on first time but second time it was Installed. The following are my problems.

(1) My KDE desktop environment doesn't get started, it says not enough disk space or failed to write..., Whereas Sufficient space is there as well as I operate as root and have all 'r', 'w', and 'x' permissions granted.

(2) In GNOME Desktop environment unable to Log-In as any user other than root. But in Console mode able to Log-In as both root and any user. Reason given for inability to Log-In in GNOME Desktop is "unable to write to file as not having authorization", in this case why is it able to Log-In in Console mode?.

(3) How can we Transfer folders and files between Windows and Linux Partitions without using Floppies and CD-Writers? That is a Direct Transfer from within the Hard disk from one Partition to Another? It is a different issue whether those files are of which type.

Thanx

(BTW -The Title Editing is not possible in this forum)

hi and welcome to the forums ! hope you stay :)

first of all, are you running RHEL 4 update 3 ? if not i'd higly recommend you upgrade your RHEL 4 version to update 3 (download the iso's from Redhat),

update 3 contains many new fixes that might address the first two issues you are having,

Quote:(1) My KDE desktop environment doesn't get started, it says not enough disk space or failed to write..., Whereas Sufficient space is there as well as I operate as root and have all 'r', 'w', and 'x' permissions granted.
can you post the error log that you see when trying to start KDE, are you sure KDE is installed ? did you install it when installing RHEL 4 ? 

Quote:(2) In GNOME Desktop environment unable to Log-In as any user other than root. But in Console mode able to Log-In as both root and any user. Reason given for inability to Log-In in GNOME Desktop is "unable to write to file as not having authorization", in this case why is it able to Log-In in Console mode?.

seeing as both gnome and kde are giving you 'unable to write' errors, have you checked if selinux is enabled and installed ?

as root try

Code:
vi /etc/selinux/config

try setting it to disabled then save the file

Code:
SELINUX=disabled

to save a file in vi, press ESC then press : then w (to write) then q (to quit)

:wq

now, try a reboot followed by trying to start gnome again, if it still fails, then post the exact error message you get when starting it,

Quote:(3) How can we Transfer folders and files between Windows and Linux Partitions without using Floppies and CD-Writers? That is a Direct Transfer from within the Hard disk from one Partition to Another? It is a different issue whether those files are of which type.

create a fat32 partition on your windows box, linux can easily read and write to it as can windows, then mount the partition in linux as per this howto

[/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=15][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=15]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15

cheers

anyweb

Quote:(1) My KDE desktop environment doesn't get started, it says not enough disk space or failed to write..., Whereas Sufficient space is there as well as I operate as root and have all 'r', 'w', and 'x' permissions granted.

Linux is very clever and maintains a small percentage of disk space just for root, therefore it isn't as tight as a user is. Check your disk space with:

Code:
df -h

Quote:(2) In GNOME Desktop environment unable to Log-In as any user other than root. But in Console mode able to Log-In as both root and any user. Reason given for inability to Log-In in GNOME Desktop is "unable to write to file as not having authorization", in this case why is it able to Log-In in Console mode?.

Could be related to the above error? No authorization.. it could mean no space? Maybe.

Quote:(3) How can we Transfer folders and files between Windows and Linux Partitions without using Floppies and CD-Writers? That is a Direct Transfer from within the Hard disk from one Partition to Another? It is a different issue whether those files are of which type.

If WinXP has an NTFS partition then Linux writing to is still very beta and not stable. However it can read from it, so you could transfer one way. The more successful option would be to have a small parition of FAT32, that way both Linux and WinXP can write to that space and the transfer is easier.

Hope thats all good?