Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: Cannot turn sound volume up....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hi,

i have recently installed RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) on my PC. So far, everything works great only i could not say that much when it comes to playing cd's.

I have a Sound Blaster Live card, which the system could still not detect. Still i am able to play cd's

Only i cannot seem to find where i may turn the sound volume up. I mean turning the volume up in KSCD is fine, however i have to turn up the volume of my speakers to almost the maximum in order to hear cd's.

Thus i have been searching every possible sound configuration program within KDE and failed to succeed in restoring volume to a proper level.

Isn't there some type of equivalent to the Windows>Control Panel>Sound Configuration in KDE?

or else a command that could possibly interact with the system's sound controls?

thank you,

JSK

i'd strongly suggest you download fedora core release 4 instead

redhat 9 is EOL (end of life) so not supported at all (in other words, using it on the internet means you are vulnerable)

get fedora 4 (which basically is redhat 13) from [/url][url=http://fedora.redhat.com]http://fedora.redhat.com

notice the 'redhat' in the url :)

have fun, we'll help you with your issues with fedora don't worry

PLEASE UPGRADE

cheers

anyweb

hi anyweb,

thanks for replying. Well, i'd be lying if i said that none ever advised me to switch to Fedora core. Well so far i have been shy doing this move because i have made redhat my developping platform( i work as a professionnal web programmer). Only now, it comes very clear that the word EOL really does take its meaning :).

Well, i am even planning to install Fedora Core on a laptop which i haven't bought yet, and i suppose this is a wiser choice than installing RedHat 9 even, especially on a laptop where the hardware does not come as well supported as on a PC.

Nevertheless i have heard of Fedora Core already obviously and i am not really sure that i can use it in a professional environement without having to pay anything, could you confirm?

thanks a lot,

JSK

Quote:hi anyweb, 

thanks for replying. Well, i'd be lying if i said that none ever advised me to switch to Fedora core. Well so far i have been shy doing this move because i have made redhat my developping platform( i work as a professionnal web programmer). Only now, it comes very clear that the word EOL really does take its meaning :).

like a sledgehammer [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png[/img]

Quote:Well, i am even planning to install Fedora Core on a laptop which i haven't bought yet, and i suppose this is a wiser choice than installing RedHat 9 even, especially on a laptop where the hardware does not come as well supported as on a PC.

its likely that rh9 would support less hardware than fc4.

Quote:Nevertheless i have heard of Fedora Core already obviously and i am not really sure that i can use it in a professional environement without having to pay anything, could you confirm? 

thanks a lot,

JSK

indeed fc4 is free to download, free to install, free to be modified, free to be destroyed, free to do whatever it is you wish to do with it.