Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: Problems with wine's 'config' file.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I have a SuSe9.2 and I wanted to try out wine.

got both the rpm and the src/tar and installed it (as root)

everything went ok

afterwards I decided to take a look in the config file and, surprise! there's no config file in the /root/.wine/ ... THe folder itself exists but no config. I checked the manual and followed the advice there and copied the config from the source package.

I tried wine on some older games for start - RedAlert(1) and TotalAnnihilation. It works, to some extent, fine, especially RA.

now I wanted to install some software with wine. THe installer starts ok but then sais I don't have the correc version of windows - it sais I have win95 and I need at least 2k or XP.

fine. i opend the config file and modified from 'win95' to 'win2k', saved and.... nothing.. the wine is still in 'win95' 'mode'...

i used the provided conifg tool - the one with a gui - selected 'windows 2000' in the drop down box, applied the changes and... nothing...

I tried, for example PaintShopPro 8 which a I saw on the winehq apps db that both insalls and runs (with bugs, though) but I get the same error 'incorrect OS. you need at least win2k/winxp'....

Funny thing is that the wine gui setup tool remembers the settings (actually saves data somewhere) but NOT in the /root/.wine/config

In fac I discovered that wine won't use the /root/.wine/config file!

I deleted the install, tried againg both with rmp's and compile from src but it goes the same way.

I tried looking for (any) files that contain exact expressions (variable names) from the provided config file but there are none.

Any ideeas about this.

10x

Normal placement for the wine config that I use is in the home directory of the user running the program.

Code:
~/.wine/config

are you running the installs are root or as some other user?

I've mentioned above that the install doesn't create a config file in the .wine/ folder...

I both install and run as root so there are no access rights problems...

This is very weird... I just dl-ded yet another wine src, compiled and installed it and it does the same thing... No config in the .wine/ folder and, even if I put the one from the src's wine ignores it.

Quote:I've mentioned above that the install doesn't create a config file in the .wine/ folder... 

I both install and run as root so there are no access rights problems...

This is very weird... I just dl-ded yet another wine src, compiled and installed it and it does the same thing... No config in the .wine/ folder and, even if I put the one from the src's wine ignores it.

source will never install in ~user (unless someone has done something strange).

try using the "winecfg" command, see how it goes..

when I installed suse i left root's folder in /root. All installs made by root leave stuff there (if they need to do so)

winecfg sais it can't find /opt/usr/wine/config (!!!) It's rerally strange...