Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: bind + chroot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

This will go over howto setup bind in a chroot enviroment. Newer versions of the bind rpm provide a bind-chroot rpm that sets some of it up for you. So I'm assuming you can install that. So here are the bind rpms I have installed on my system

Code:
bind-utils-9.2.5-1
bind-libs-9.2.5-1
bind-9.2.5-1
bind-chroot-9.2.5-1

You will want to install those. Now you your first step is to change the homedir of the named user that the bind rpm should have created

Here is what mine looks like by default

Code:
named:x:25:25:Named:/var/named:/sbin/nologin

The bind-chroot rpm installs its dir structure in /var/named/chroot. so we need to change the /var/named section in the /etc/passwd file. You can do that by editing the file or running this command

Code:
usermod -d /var/named/chroot named

now open up the file /etc/sysconfig/named and if you see the following line.. that file is good to go

ROOTDIR=/var/named/chroot

If its not there add it.. If its there but a different dir.. you want to change it.

then just startup named

service named start and you should be set.

You should see something like this in your /var/log/messages

Apr 14 19:07:16 redhost named[19195]: starting BIND 9.2.5 -u named -t /var/named/chroot

make sure -t is pointed to your chroot dir. Remember when it says reading from /etc/named.conf that really means /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf

another quicky from J to the Y