Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: Easiest distro for noobs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hey everyone. I know there is stuff everywhere online about this but could I get some feedback on what you guys here think is the best distro for newbies? I have only had limited experience with madrake 9.0 and knoppix. Is the new Fedora core fairly straight forward an install for someone with WinXP experience or are there better ones?

Thanks for all the help and info.

Sanjuro.

One last thing. Can you install Fedora onto a WinXP machine for dual boot or Fedora first

then re-install Windows?

fedora core release 3 is very easy for noobs, just install it via the menu driven interface

however you'll still have to load plugins which while not easy for noobs is a good way to start learning linux,

either that or go with a distro that has done it all for you like suse professional 9.2

both suse and fedora can work in dualboot situations letting you boot xp and linux easily however, setting up fedora will require you to partition the hard disc first using something like partition magic

suse does it automatically during the installation phase (nice)

i use Fedora Core Release 3 myself :)

welcome to the forums

cheers

anyweb

Quote:One last thing. Can you install Fedora onto a WinXP machine for dual boot or Fedora first then re-install Windows?
Windows overwrites the MBR and so must be installed first for a dual-boot machine. You install a bootloader during your Linux install regardless of distro and can specify your Windows partition there. Many distributions do this for you.

Quote:fedora core release 3 is very easy for noobs, just install it via the menu driven interface 

however you'll still have to load plugins which while not easy for noobs is a good way to start learning linux,

either that or go with a distro that has done it all for you like suse professional 9.2

both suse and fedora can work in dualboot situations letting you boot xp and linux easily however, setting up fedora will require you to partition the hard disc first using something like partition magic

suse does it automatically during the installation phase (nice)

i use Fedora Core Release 3 myself :)

welcome to the forums

cheers

anyweb
any idea what the system requirements of it are? :\

i've tried to see if google would help me out, but no immediate answers seemed to have turned up..

i just had something equivalent to a p100 dropped into my lap today, and i'm wondering if fedora core would even be able to run on it..

if not, then i'm looking for an alternative to test out.. any recommendations? :/

p.s. for the record, i need something atm that will fit of 3

Quote:any idea what the system requirements of it are? :\ 

i've tried to see if google would help me out, but no immediate answers seemed to have turned up..

i just had something equivalent to a p100 dropped into my lap today, and i'm wondering if fedora core would even be able to run on it..

if not, then i'm looking for an alternative to test out.. any recommendations? unsure.gif

p.s. for the record, i need something atm that will fit of 3