Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: ATI Radeon Drivers (fglrx), FC2 and 9550GE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Well, being Canadian, I decided to give my local neighbour ATI a shot to replace my NVidia card, which was a Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS Pro, based on of course the GeForce II GTS Pro. It's been a great card and still is...though its sitting in another box now.

So, I pulled my new ASUS ATI Radeon 9550GE (Gamer Edition) from its box (Yes, I'm cheap and didn't spring for a 9600XT or 9800 series card) and expected to be able to install the new 3.11.1 series drivers and be on my way....that assumption was my first big mistake. First off, there are no drivers for XORG's version of X, so you have to force install the drivers. Secondly, you have to use the "-replacefiles" option because the drivers conflict with MESA as well. So, after finding this out and using the appropriate options to work around the problems the drivers installed....which was great until it went to load the module and I got the following message:

FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko): No such device

Which is odd, because the 9550 is on the list of supported cards........

So, I did an lspci to see what that turned up for the card ID:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4153

01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4173

Which to me, looks normal.

So, what is it, that ATI doesn't support this variant of the 9550 GPU even though its really no different from the normal 9550? I don't know, but I"m very frustrated and might load XP on this thing tonight in order to have Video support....not something I'm looking forward to doing.

Has anybody else come across this problem and discovered a solution?

If so, please let me know!

KNOWN ISSUE - ATI proprietary drivers break Xorg 6.7/6.8. if you need it scale back to XFree86

I have installed ATIs drivers with Fedora Core 2 and my Radeon 9700 Pro and it works fine.

3D hardware acceleration works a treat.

I will write a "How to" this week ;)