Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: Got a noisy SCSI drive you'd like to spin down?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

[/url]http://www.speakeasy.org/~xyzzy/scsi.html <-

SCSI-IDLE is a simple tool to let you spin down/spin up/spin down on idle- your annoying scsi-drive.

WARNING: Before you use this program, be aware of the risks. Have a google around.

Old disks in particular, and disks that have been running 24/7 for longer periods can be dangerous to park this way, according to some forum entries. Yet again other entries say that newer edition scsi disks that aren' bleeding edge will most likely behave in exactly the same way as their counterversion ide-drives. I'm taking the chance at least... my ears need a rest :)

Btw.. that rpm works fine in FedoraCore2

I think this might be bending the rules a bit, but that site looked a bit outdated and flimsy.. so in case it goes down I've included the rpm that worked under FC2 here as a .tgz file. Forum wouldn't allow tgz's or rpms to be uploaded, so I removed the ending. Just change it back to tgz, decompress and install!

Hope noone shoots at me for this :)

/fjarle

Included the text from the site below :

________________________________________________________________________________

scsi-stop, scsi-start and scsi-idle

scsi-idle is a package for controlling the motors in your SCSI disks. There are three programs, scsi-stop, scsi-start, and scsi-idle. The first two allow you to spin up and spin down you drives manually. You don't need a kernel patch to use these programs. The third program, scsi-idle, is a daemon which will spin down your discs after an idle timeout. You do need the kernel patch to allow this, since one of the things the kernel patch does is provide a way to get the idle time of a disk. The kernel patch also allows the kernel to spin up your drives automatically when they are accessed. This doesn't work perfectly, if you access the drive via a swap partition or by trying to mount a filesystem on it, bad things happen.

I updated the patch to work with the the 2.0.36 kernel and again to work with 2.2.10. I also wrote the scsi-start and scsi-stop programs. The 2.2.10 version also includes the patch for 2.0.36, and should work fine with a 2.0.x kernel.

________________________________________________________________________________

[url=<___base_url___>/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=160]scsiidle