Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: Help with Firestarter firewall/router in Fedora
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hi everyone. I posted earlier about not being able to get online with Fedora. After a lot of help in #fedora on Efnet, I've been able to set it up.

Now I've got 2 NICs in the fedora box and am running it as a firewall/router for my LAN. I configured my XBox and can connect on XBox live, my XP machine can surf and play games, almost everything is good.

The problem right now is that eth1 (internal) keeps going Inactive for no apparent reason. I can hit activate in the network configuration window and everything works just fine, but it will eventually turn itself back to inactive, and the LAN cant use the net. Is this a software problem, or should I replace the NIC?

The other issue I'm having is configuring Outlook XP to work through Firestarter. I've set my send/recieve servers to the IP address instead of a hostname, but I still can't send or recieve mail. I've allowed all services to run through Firestarter. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again.

It turned out to be a bad NIC, but I still can't get email and I can't connect to my vnc server from XP. But at least it's stable.

I know I'm just talking to myself here, but I was able to set up Xvnc with kde so I can see what I'm doing. I still can't check my email, and I've tried lots of different things to get it to work, but I can't figure it out.

In Outlook I get:

Send test e-mail message: The specified server was found, but there was no response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correct. To access these settings close this dialog, then click More Settings on the advanced tab.

And the test readout is such: Establish network connection: Completed

Find outgoing mail server: Completed

Find incoming mail server: Completed

Log onto incoming mail server: Failed

Send test email message: Failed

I'm like 98% sure my ISP doesn't use SSL for email. Again, Firestarter is configured to allow these services, and I manually forwarded the ports.

Thanks for your suggestions.