Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: how I upgraded from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

backup your data first then... login as root and do a yum -y update, that tells fedora to update itself

Quote:[anyweb@localhost ~]$ su -Password:

[root@localhost ~]# yum -y update

then get a few necessary F15 rpm's from the nearest mirror (i chose a swedish mirror as i live in sweden)

Code:
wget ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-15-1.noarch.rpm
wget ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-notes-15.0.0-1.fc15.noarch.rpm
wget ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-rawhide-15-1.noarch.rpm

and then install them

Code:
rpm -Uvh fedora-release-notes-15.0.0-1.fc15.noarch.rpm fedora-release-15-1.noarch.rpm fedora-release-rawhide-15-1.noarch.rpm

then clean the yum data

Code:
yum clean all

and update

Code:
yum update

if you get any conflicts reported, then remove the package like so

Code:
yum remove gnome-applet-vm

the install will take some time, take a break,

once done, check the version

Quote:[root@localhost ~]# cat /etc/redhat-releaseFedora release 15 (Lovelock)

and then reboot

Code:
reboot

How you finding F15 after using it for a couple of months now? You get used to gnome3 yet?

yes i'm used to it and like it actually, took some time to get used to

it is slower than gnome 2 however but aside from that, after i added my 'fixes' it's great

and suspend finally works 100% now also, so upgrading to f15 was a good move

Quote:yes i'm used to it and like it actually, took some time to get used to

it is slower than gnome 2 however but aside from that, after i added my 'fixes' it's great

and suspend finally works 100% now also, so upgrading to f15 was a good move

Good to hear :)

I checked out unity on a virtualbox and I still prefer good old gnome to gnome3 and unity.
updating f15 now to f16 will report back later