Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: That went nowhere, so new strategy...now CIFS mount is saying, "Host is down"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I've changed strategies. Since the permissions issue was obviously too complex to tackle with my limited ability to explain the problem, I decided to simply use my router's Samba hosting and plug the hard drive in there. SUCCESS! I can access the samba share using smbclient from the command line, and I can access it from Gnome in "Files."

However, when I try to use CIFS to create a permanent mount to the Samba drive using the EXACT. SAME. INFORMATION. it says, "mount error(112): Host is down."

This is the most frustrating thing I've experienced in the world of computing. I just want to share my damn external drive so that I can use Plex/Kodi/etc. to watch my decades of media on my devices in my house. I'm using Ubuntu 18.04. It shouldn't be this complicated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I had already added vers=1.0 to the fstab file, and I had rebooted at least twice. I rebooted again without making and changes other than unmounting the drive in Files, and it's now working. I'm not sure how tenuous this link is, but hopefully this fixed the issue.