Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: usb stick linux/windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have the following problem. I have a usb stick which I've used in linux and at work I work with windows at work. Before ejecting my usb stick I forgot to empty my trash in Linux. Now I'm at work and it says my usb stick is full. I have searched all over with google and I can't find a way to delete my .trash from my usb stick. Formatting it doesn't help either. Does anyone know how to do this without having to boot in linux?

Quote:I have the following problem. I have a usb stick which I've used in linux and at work I work with windows at work. Before ejecting my usb stick I forgot to empty my trash in Linux. Now I'm at work and it says my usb stick is full. I have searched all over with google and I can't find a way to delete my .trash from my usb stick. Formatting it doesn't help either. Does anyone know how to do this without having to boot in linux?

Check for any folders beginning with .Trash on your USB stick (for example, you might have a folder called .Trash-500 and .Trash-1000). If you delete any of those folders from Windows, that should release some space.

You say that formatting doesn't help -- that seems a little confusing to me as formatting the filesystem on the stick should remove all the data on that filesystem. If the first solution doesn't fix this and you are prepared to try and format the device again, we can attempt that again.

I figured out the problem, problem was that I formatted in FAT32 at work. I formated in windows as NTFS at home and I was able to copy over data again.