Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: How to compile gcc without a compiler installed?!?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hey all!

I'm pretty fresh with linux, especially when it comes to installing stuff without rpm or yum. So i have a AstLinux distro, which is very slimmed down, and does not come with a c complier installed. Sooo, I try to install gcc, and when running the ./configure script simply results in an error of no c compiler installed!

SO, I need some detailed help in how to get this thing installed.

This is my biggest downfall with being proficient with linux, I always seem to get stumped with installing the many pre-requisites for the one program i need. ANY help would be awesome!

Thanks,

Adam R.J.

from a quick look on astlinux.org i can see very little documentation to explain how to do what you want to do,

have you tried to email/contact Kristian ?

perhaps you could compile a package into the distro by doing as they advise here

http://www.astlinux.org/node/24

This is like the chicken and the egg. Without a compiler you cannot compile a compiler. If the distribution does not provide a package for installation then the only other solution is to make a package yourself.

Obviously this requires another distribution, which in itself can be a problem. One solution might be to use an RPM from another distribution and hope that the dependencies it requires are available. However in the case of AstLinux, I think you will find yourself installing loads of other tools in preparation for GCC. This is because AstLinux is a super-cut-down distribution intended for a single purpose.

Maybe a solution would be to do the following, get a LiveCD distribution that has GCC and the other development tools present (Knoppix for instance). Mount your existing distribution on the LiveCD. That way you can compile a static version of GCC on Knoppix then pack/copy it onto your existing distribution. Certainly not ideal but I believe it would work.

Ultimately the best solution would be for you to select a distribution that is more suited to your purpose.