Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: Sharing drives and folders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

How can I share a hard drive or a folder as hidden?

I have a server (Intel 120 OCed to 225 w/ windoze 2000 and ZoneAlarm) that has access to my windoze partition and my wife's PC. Thanks to DMA it has no problems keeping up with our computers. Yeah it takes five minutes to boot up. Once booted it gets shoved back in the closet and forgotten.

However, all it has to do is:

1) ZoneAlarm tell NIC 2, "Yes you can pass that info from NIC 1" or "Nope! Not allowed!"

2) Scan our PC's for viruses. I just hate having a virus scanning util on my PC slowing everything down.*

*Note: I have not gotten very many virus. My current total is: Two viruses and one hyjacking over the span of 16 years. That's PC years, not total 'puter years.

Thanks in advance.

From windows: if the share has a $ in the name (eg: hidden$) then it becomes a hidden share, and unless you know of it (or can view it in Server Manager) then it won't come up in a browse list

From Linux: if you are using SAMBA, then using "browseable = no" against a share point means the same thing, for instance:

Code:
[backups]
  comment = My secret backups
  path = /var/spool/backups
  valid users = rod jane freddy
  writable = yes
  printable = no
  create mask = 0660
  directory mask = 0770
  browseable = no

By the way, if all you need is routing, firewall and AV filtering, look at running "Smoothwall" and ClamAV on the PC. It may be more efficient (and boots a lot quicker)

My wife has windoze HexP and I have duel boot windoze HexP64 and Linux Fedora 11.

Under windoze I just, in the address bar, type "\\Lissa\$c" to connect. If I just enter "\\Lissa\" it will give me a list of shares. Because I have my settings to show hidden it shows her C and D drive, which are both hidden, and the printer.

What is the Linux equivalent to, ""\\Lissa\$c?"

I would just like to set all my drives, under Linux, as hidden shares, with password if possible. Windoze doesn't do that, that I know of.

There isn't a "Linux equivalent" really, since Windoes shared out the system disk by default as C$ but Linux doesn't have open shares configured by default like that.

If you want to see what shares are on a server from Windows, open a command prompt and type: NET VIEW \\MACHINENAME, eg: NET VIEW \\LISSA.

To create a drive mapping, use something like:

Code:
NET USE X: \\LISSA\C$

- this will create an X: drive that maps to her share.

If samba has shares open, you can do the same commands on windows against the samba server, eg:

NET VIEW \\LINUXSERVER

NET USE Y: \\LINUXSERVER\SHARENAME

-----------

From Linux, the commands are slightly different. To view the shares, use:

Code:
smbclient -L \\LISSA

To mount a directory, use something like:

Code:
mount -t cifs /home/Bakshara/wife //LISSA/C$

I believe there's some graphical tool to browse and connect (like Windows explorer) under KDE, but I don't use it.

I did:

Code:
[bakshara@Bakshara ~]$ smbclient -L \\LISSA

...and got...

Quote:Connection to LISSA failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)

Using:

Code:
[bakshara@Bakshara ~]$ smbclient -help

I did:

Code:
[bakshara@Bakshara ~]$ smbclient -I 192.168.0.5 -L \\LISSA

...and got...

Quote:Enter Bakshara's password: <I entered my PW>Domain=[LISSA] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment

--------- ---- -------

Kenny Disk

IPC$ IPC Remote IPC

print$ Disk Printer Drivers

SharedDocs Disk

$LissaC Disk

$LissaD Disk

FAX-Canon Printer Canon MP780 FAX

Desktop Disk

E Disk

Printer-Canon Printer Canon MP780 Series Printer

Domain=[LISSA] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Server Comment

--------- -------

Workgroup Master

--------- -------
[bakshara@Bakshara ~]$

Now what do I do?

Aslo:

Kenny Disk and SharedDocs are shared folders.

What are IPC$ IPC Remote IPC and print$ Disk Printer Drivers?

$LissaC, $LissaD, and E are drives. E is the DVD Drive.

FAX-Canon Printer Canon MP780 FAX and Printer-Canon Printer Canon MP780 Series Printer are, of course, our Canon Printer.

P.S.

I have not tried:

Code:
[quote]mount -t cifs /home/Bakshara/wife //LISSA/C$[/quote]