Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: updating Fedora 10 to Fedora 11
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

today I decided to update my Fedora 10 laptop to Fedora 11 seeing as it's been out a while now and settled down.

the first thing to do was to get some files

Code:
wget ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/fedora/linux/releases/11/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-notes-11.0.0-2.fc11.noarch.rpm
wget ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/fedora/linux/releases/11/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-11-1.noarch.rpm

once done login as root using

Code:
su -

change to the directory where you download those files above and execute the following command

Code:
rpm -Uvh fedora-release-notes-11.0.0-2.fc11.noarch.rpm fedora-release-notes-11.0.0-2.fc11.noarch.rpm

then

Code:
yum clean all

then

Code:
yum update

after in gets all the updates it will then install them (1151 in my case)

it will then prompt you to import the new GPG key for Fedora 11 and run a Transaction test

this can take a long time.. so be patient and don't interupt it

after running the transaction test, it will run the transaction itself, so once again, be patient

after a long while, the transaction will start to scroll in your cli, and in my case 2211 transactions had to be done...

at this point it was late and it was at transaction 323 of 2211, so I went to bed and let it continue overnight

and after i woke up this morning the screen on my laptop was a bit garbled,

I couldnt log in but I could open another cli (ctrl_alt_f2)

i logged in as root there and did

Code:
reboot

after the reboot, all looks fine and even broadcom wireless is working ! nice :)

but........... and a big but, yum is broken due to two versions of python

Quote:[root@localhost ~]# yumThere was a problem importing one of the Python modules

required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

No module named yum

Please install a package which provides this module, or

verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the

current version of Python, which is:

2.6 (r26:66714, Jun 8 2009, 16:07:26)

[GCC 4.4.0 20090506 (Red Hat 4.4.0-4)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to

the yum faq at:

http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

and

Quote: 

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa python

python-2.5.2-1.fc10.i386

python-2.6-9.fc11.i586

so, how do I fix yum ?

Try:

Code:
rpm -e python-2.5.2-1

as root?

the amount of packages python referenced was hundreds, so i decided to NOT remove python

however, today (with some help from a linux guru) I downloaded and then rpm'd the following packages

Quote:anaconda-yum-plugins-1.0-4.fc11.noarch.rpm

PackageKit-0.4.6-8.fc11.i586.rpm

PackageKit-yum-plugin-0.4.6-8.fc11.i586.rpm

python-iniparse-0.3.0-2.fc11.noarch.rpm

yum-3.2.22-4.fc11.noarch.rpm

yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-12.fc11.i586.rpm

yum-utils-1.1.21-2.fc11.noarch.rpm

which seems to allow yum to start now without any errors, all I have to do is test it with an internet connection which I will later this evening

i'm happy to report that after i attempted a yum update, yum prompted me to continue the transaction

Code:
yum-complete-transaction

and updated the remaining bits, i then rebooted and wow, really nice boot with fedora 11 and lovely new icons on the desktop, looks great so far :)

Anyweb,

Ok, as you advised; I saw your post in another thread, this thread, about updating Fedora 10 to Fedora 11. Following is your post quoted with my comments and questions.

I would also like to know if the

Code:
xorg-x11-drv-jamstudio-1.1.0-2.fc7.i386.rpm

driver is ok.

Thanks!

Bakshara the Linux noob!

Today I decided to update my Fedora 10 laptop to Fedora 11 seeing as it's been out a while now and settled down.

The first thing to do was to get some files

Code:
wget ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/fedora/linux/releases/11/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-notes-11.0.0-2.fc11.noarch.rpm
wget ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/fedora/linux/releases/11/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-11-1.noarch.rpm

once done login as **root** using

Code:
su -

change to the directory where you download those files above and execute the following command

Quote:Where does it download these files to?

Code:
rpm -Uvh fedora-release-notes-11.0.0-2.fc11.noarch.rpm fedora-release-notes-11.0.0-2.fc11.noarch.rpm

Quote:I got a dialog about updating. It downloaded 1155 files and then applied them.

I was very happy that it kept all my previous stuff!

Do I need to do the following?

Also, I would like to know what the DOS command prompt equivalent is. I like to use

Code:
dir > list.txt

<div>

to get file names quickly, since I peck type at about 20 words per minute.

There are some updates that some of the Linux help sites say that I need.

Code:
adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386.rpm

It give me a warning with only the options "Cancel or Force" What should I do?

</div>

then

Code:
yum clean all

then

Code:
yum update

after in gets all the updates it will then install them (1151 in my case)it will then prompt you to import the new GPG key for Fedora 11 and run

a Transaction test this can take a long time.. so be patient and don't interupt it after running the transaction test, it will run the transaction itself, so once again, be patient

after a long while, the transaction will start to scroll in your cli, and in my case 2211 transactions had to be done...

ok first things first

please dont attempt this upgrade unless you are willing to learn and understand that it might fail meaning you might need to reinstall, i mean it gave me problems but i was lucky enough to resolve them...

I've no idea what this driver is xorg-x11-drv-jamstudio-1.1.0-2.fc7.i386.rpm

but if its not ok then yum will tell you.

to find where the files are stored, just before you do the wget commands type pwd to print the working directory

you can do dir > list.txt in linux too :)

now... are all your questions below related to upgrading fedora 10 to fedora 11 or are you just asking for general linux advice ?

Anyweb,

Second things second,

I already did the upgrade. Thus my quote:

Quote:I got a dialog about updating. It downloaded 1155 files and then applied them.

I was very happy that it kept all my previous stuff!

Do I need to do the following?

Do I need to do the following steps you gave?

Quote:then

Code:
yum clean all

<div>

then

Code:
yum update

</div>

Quote:please dont attempt this upgrade unless you are willing to learn and understand that it might fail meaning you might need to reinstall, i mean it gave me problems but i was lucky enough to resolve them...
To late. I already did it.

Quote:I've no idea what this driver is xorg-x11-drv-jamstudio-1.1.0-2.fc7.i386.rpm
That is a driver for a drawing pad I have. Drawing in Photoshop with a mouse flat out SUCKS!

Quote:but if its not ok then yum will tell you.
That's good to know.

Quote:to find where the files are stored, just before you do the wget commands type pwd to print the working directory
Also good to know.

Quote:you can do dir > list.txt in linux too :)
Also good to know.

Quote:now... are all your questions below related to upgrading fedora 10 to fedora 11 or are you just asking for general linux advice ?
Both.

ok great, and is it working properly *fedora 11* ?

Quote:ok great, and is it working properly *fedora 11* ?

Yes! After I did that, I installed wine again. Now it's on the menu, under Applications. I got WinRAR in fine. For some reason it doesn't want to do WS-FTP Pro, even though winhq says they support it.

I wish everyone a Happy Fourth of July!

Bakshara the Linux noob!