Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: Ubuntu 8.04 Dual-Boot Issues (Windows XP)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hello everybody, I'm not going to lie and say that I'm not new to all of this so I figure I'll just admit it.

Over the past couple of days I had some hard drive issues and thought this would be as good of time as any to try this whole Linux thing again... (had some issues with a Vista dual boot at one point in time absolutely hosing the drive, though that was Vista I'm fairly certain)

So I installed XP back on the new drive that I found but only partitioned 150 GB for XP. The remainder of it I left for a Linux Distro in this case Ubuntu 8.04. I used the rest of it during the Ubuntu install process. I then rebooted the computer and everything went downhill from there. I can get into Windows XP just fine, however whenever I try and boot into Ubuntu it gets to

running boot scripts local /etc/rc.local [OK]

but after that the screen will just turn black and sit there and do nothing else. The version that I select in Grub is

Ubuntu 8.04.1 kernel 2.6.24-21-generic

However the other options that are available are Ubuntu 8.04.1 kernel 2.6.24-21-generic (recovery mode), Ubuntu 8.04.1 kernel 2.6.24-19-generic and Ubuntu 8.04.1 kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (recovery mode) there is also a selection for Ubuntu 8.04.1, memtest86+

I'm assuming the last one is just to check the drive integrity. Any assistance would be great as I'd love to be able to actually use Ubuntu, but obviously cannot if I cannot get into the system itself.

Thanks

Jonathan.

hi and welcome, do you have nvidia graphics card ?