Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: Smoothwall stuck
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Dear admin,

i am using smoothwall aprox. last 8 months & that period I never feel any problem in it. but last few weeks I feel a problem frequently & that is the smoothwall stucks. & a problem I discover or u can say that the solution I adopt is change IP address of its RED interface & its working again properly. but my point of view its not a solution.

Nowadays, in our country, we face lot of power failure problem. that why my smoothwall server abnormly shut down 10 to 12 times daily. but this practice also starts a long time ago & i never felt this problem.

If u have any solution of this problem, kindly reply me.

thanx in advance.

ifykh

if you get power cuts daily then do as follows

get an UPS or run your smoothwall on a laptop like I do (in a docked situation)

that way even if power cuts out the battery of the laptop keeps the smoothwall running for at least an hour

just a thought

cheers

anyweb

Is the problem that smoothwall comes back up with an incorrect IP address? Or that when it restarts after a power outage the different IP address will then cause some smoothwall rules to fail?

A UPS will keep the machine up and running for short power interruptions (and will also smooth power fluctuations/ripples out, preventing instability issues) and the server can also be comfigured to cleanly shutdown if power does not return after a pre-defined period of time. My server is powered by a UPS and when it receives notification that there has been a power outage, it begins a clean shutdown in 15 mins (if the power returns, the shutdown is cancelled) - so at least I get no file corruption.

I know that last part may not help you, since if you have a problem with dynamic IP address on the RED interface (external IP, right?) then any power outage will result in a new IP, UPS or not - just that the UPS can prevent brief outages rather than longer ones.