Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: X command is eating my CPU resources
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

my machine is RHEL 4 update 2 and Im running tom cat on that particular machine. I try also to look for SELinux but its disable. heres my screenshot here.

[Image: bensent1.png]

Im looking forward to solve this problem

Thanks

X is a bit processor-intensive, unless you use Beryl or Compiz which offloads the graphical processing onto the video card, utilising the GPU rather than the CPU.

I'm not an expert on that - I don't use graphical desktops on my machines.

That does look like X has got into an endless loop somehow, as it is using almost all your CPU capacity.

Does the problem persist after rebooting the machine? It's fairly likely to be a temporary issue - and I notice that your uptime is a couple of days.

any suggestion on how to solve this?
Can you post some specs of your machine, including capabilities of the video card?

Im running tomcat to my server.

is tomcat affect my system?

Quote:Does the problem persist after rebooting the machine?

Quote:Can you post some specs of your machine, including capabilities of the video card?

Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 3)

Intel

Quote:Im not restarting my Server because its in Production.

It is distinctly possible the X problem is only temporary. If you really can't restart the machine, use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to just restart X or kill the X process by hand.

That might solve the problem, possibly.

I also try to reboot my system but the utilization of X is still high, is tomcat affecting my cpu utilization?
Pages: 1 2