Jump to content


We use cookies to log you in, for ads and for analytics. OK

Photo

Installing Linksys WMP300N wireless-N USB using ndiswrapper on SUSE 10.2


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rick-B

Rick-B

    Noob

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:41 PM

I am a linux noob and have spent a considerable amount of time searching for information to help me configure my linksys wireless-N USB adapter. I was finally able to just recently “crack this nut” and I wanted to share my learnings to hopefully help others on this same quest.

I loaded Suse 10.2 onto my HP Pavilion 523n which I have set up as dual-boot – I still have need for windoz XP which is network connected to my home wireless network using a Linksys WMP300N wireless-N USB adapter. My wireless network is configured for WEP, 64 bit encryption and for no broadcast of my ssid.

After loading Suse, I began at first to search for a native linux driver for my wireless adapter, which soon I discovered was a lost cause. In this process I found out about ndiswrapper (click here). “Many vendors do not release specifications of the hardware or provide a Linux driver for their wireless network cards. This project implements Windows kernel API and NDIS (Network Driver Interface Specification) API within Linux kernel. A Windows driver for wireless network card is then linked to this implementation so that the driver runs natively, as though it is in Windows, without binary emulation.”

After reviewing the ndiswrapper home page, I read the Documents/Wiki for installation instructions. I then downloaded 1.47 released (click to download) which will download the tar file to your desktop (default location unless you have changed it). Follow the installation instructions for ndiswrapper and also for the Windows driver (linksys drivers are obtained here).

At this point it I checked that my system “saw” my adapter using “lsusb” as root:

rambo:~ # lsusb
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 13b1:0029 Linksys
Bus 003 Device 008: ID 0bc2:0500 Seagate RSS LLC 
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03f0:1e11 Hewlett-Packard PSC-950
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:08a6 Logitech, Inc. 
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
rambo:~ #

Once ndiswrapper was installed, I installed the windows driver for my device as follows:

rambo:~ # ndiswrapper -i /home/rgboepp/bin/netmw245.inf

(make sure that the corresponding “netmw245.sys” is also in the same directory)

I then checked that ndiswrapper had loaded the driver successfully as follows:

rambo:~ # ndiswrapper -l
		netmw245 : driver installed
		device (13B1:0029) present
rambo:~ #

Here it seems all was going well, but at this point was where I hit the snag. I had previously configured my laptop with a linksys WMP300N wireless-N PCMCIA card and had no problems with using the yast2 GUI to configure this card for my wireless network. When using this approach with my desktop HP, this did not work.

I went back to web and started researching and I stumbled across the Linux-Noob Forums with a posting that helped me solve my problem.

What I had to do was to configure my wireless card from the command line using “lwconfig” and “dhclient”. I did this as follows:

rambo:~ # iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid MYESSID key (hexadecimal-key)
rambo:~ # dhclient wlan0
I then verified my adapter was up and had obtained an IP address using “ifconfig”:

rambo:~ # ifconfig wlan0
wlan0	 	Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00  
			  inet addr:192.168.1.50  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
			 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
		 		RX packets:7718 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
			 TX packets:6815 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
		 		collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
			 RX bytes:6874515 (6.5 Mb)  TX bytes:1103348 (1.0 Mb)

Verifying internet connectivity:

rambo:~ # ping www.google.com
PING www.l.google.com (64.233.167.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from py-in-f99.google.com (64.233.167.99): icmp_seq=1 ttl=243 time=67.4 ms
64 bytes from py-in-f99.google.com (64.233.167.99): icmp_seq=2 ttl=243 time=72.0 ms
64 bytes from py-in-f99.google.com (64.233.167.99): icmp_seq=3 ttl=243 time=72.0 ms
64 bytes from py-in-f99.google.com (64.233.167.99): icmp_seq=4 ttl=243 time=72.0 ms

--- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3003ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 67.429/70.881/72.041/2.019 ms


I am now able to browse the web and read email, but I have not yet automated the configuration to occur at boot – still working that one, but I don't anticipate it will prove to be too awful challenging.

Hope this information helps others in their endeavors with wireless configuration in Linux.

Rick-B


#2 feedmebits

feedmebits

    Linux-Noob Senior Member

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for sharing Rick even though this post is 3 years old. Will try it out :)
"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users