Linux-Noob Forums
unmount a usb flash drive - Printable Version

+- Linux-Noob Forums (https://www.linux-noob.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Distro Noob (https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: SUSE (https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/forum-98.html)
+--- Thread: unmount a usb flash drive (/thread-2290.html)

unmount a usb flash drive - jazzman - 2005-12-14

I have just installed linux for the 1st time (suse 10) and liking it a lot. I have got it connected to the internet using a usb wireless adapter (something that has put me off trying linux for a long time was the lack of wirless support). My only real problem so far is that my usb flash drive is recognised and mounted automatically when i plug it in and an icon appears on the desktop. The drive works fine but when i have finished using it and and right click to choose the 'unmount' option, i get a message telling me somthing about not having permission as i am not the owner and somthing about "fstab". I am having to wait until the pc shuts down before removing the device as i don't want to corrupt the memory. Is this a bug in suse 10 or am i missing something?

unmount a usb flash drive - anyweb - 2005-12-14

sounds like it wants you to be root,

what happens if you just unplug the device does it work ok ?

cheers

anyweb

unmount a usb flash drive - deltaflyer - 2005-12-14

its a bug in suse 10, i had the same problem with my usb stick, couldn't find a solution, so just worked out if you wait 30seconds after last use you can just unplug it

andy

unmount a usb flash drive - jazzman - 2005-12-15

Quote:sounds like it wants you to be root, 

cheers

anyweb

It has carried on working so far and unmounts from the desktop as soon as the device is removed but I am reluctant to just remove it because I have had problems in the past with corrupted memory on usb drives (this is my 3rd replacement flash drive from ebuyer! but this may be more down to poor quality memory they use rather than anything else)

In windows I always use the 'remove USB device safely' menu in the taskbar because memory can become permanently corrupted if it is removed wrongly. I don't know if this applies to linux though.

It does seem strange though that there is a bug in suse 10 for something as common as a usb flash key.

unmount a usb flash drive - kingttx - 2005-12-15

Jazzman,

Please post your /etc/fstab and the error message, and let's see if that shows what is going on.

Tom

unmount a usb flash drive - shak20 - 2006-01-25

I have the same problem too.. It's a suse 10 bug.. You can log in as root and type umount /media/"the name of your device" .. if you don't get any errors you are OK...

unmount a usb flash drive - Ioneth - 2006-03-19

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="6934" data-ipsquote-username="anyweb" data-cite="anyweb" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="1947" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>

cheers

anyweb

It has carried on working so far and unmounts from the desktop as soon as the device is removed but I am reluctant to just remove it because I have had problems in the past with corrupted memory on usb drives (this is my 3rd replacement flash drive from ebuyer! but this may be more down to poor quality memory they use rather than anything else)

In windows I always use the 'remove USB device safely' menu in the taskbar because memory can become permanently corrupted if it is removed wrongly. I don't know if this applies to linux though.

It does seem strange though that there is a bug in suse 10 for something as common as a usb flash key.

</div></blockquote>

If you can get a Drive from SanDisk they have a LED on the end of them when solid its safe to remove when flashing its not simple. oh and they work really good my Wife put mine in the washer and dryer it came out cleaner and still works.

unmount a usb flash drive - djsmiley2k - 2006-03-19

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="6936" data-ipsquote-username="jazzman" data-cite="jazzman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="1947" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="6934" data-ipsquote-username="anyweb" data-cite="anyweb" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="1947" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>

cheers

anyweb

</div></blockquote>

If you can get a Drive from SanDisk they have a LED on the end of them when solid its safe to remove when flashing its not simple. oh and they work really good my Wife put mine in the washer and dryer it came out cleaner and still works.

</div></blockquote>

But the case didn't fall off?

There was a story just like this on slashdot...