Linux-Noob Forums
Scientific Linux 6 - Printable Version

+- Linux-Noob Forums (https://www.linux-noob.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Screenshots (https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Linux (https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/forum-77.html)
+--- Thread: Scientific Linux 6 (/thread-291.html)

Scientific Linux 6 - inittux - 2011-10-27

Here's a screenshot of the new distro I'm running :)

[Image: SL6.1-Screenshot.png]

It's a redhat clone just like CentOS. I heard that the development of SL is doing better than CentOS these days. And they got a great friendly community too. I have it as a desktop,

runs nice and stable and if you want to use compiz/fusion it also works.

Scientific Linux 6 - Dungeon-Dave - 2011-10-27

How does it compare to ubuntu?

Coming from a DeadRat/Feddy background, I'm more a RPM fellah, so CentOS interested me on the server, but noticed that many Fedora packages aren't available for it. I'm coming around to the "ubuntu on the desktop" approach after noticing that many things "just work" (read: flash, apt, etc) but something with the ease of ubunny mixed in with YUM would interest me as a desktop system.

(I'm also contemplating popping native XBMC on my home server, so that could be running Debian rather than Centy soon...)

Scientific Linux 6 - inittux - 2011-10-27

Quote:How does it compare to ubuntu?

Coming from a DeadRat/Feddy background, I'm more a RPM fellah, so CentOS interested me on the server, but noticed that many Fedora packages aren't available for it. I'm coming around to the "ubuntu on the desktop" approach after noticing that many things "just work" (read: flash, apt, etc) but something with the ease of ubunny mixed in with YUM would interest me as a desktop system.

(I'm also contemplating popping native XBMC on my home server, so that could be running Debian rather than Centy soon...)

SL is an rpm based distro :) What you could try for CentOS because it works for SL cuz they are both RH clones. Activate rpmforge and then also activate epel. Then have the enable option 0 , under vi /etc/yum.repos.d/ epel.repo so they you don't break packages(for al 3rd party repos, so also for rpmforge). But just update from the main centos repo. Check this post, explaining it. Then you can search and install packages like this:

yum --enablerepo=epel,rpmforge search filezilla

yum --enablerepo=epel,rpmforge install fillezilla

I just learned that the other day :)

You asking how does SL compare to Ubuntu? Let me put it this way, for my laptop, my wireless and bluethooth worked out of the box.

Only thing I had to install was my Nvidia driver and then you can install everything else(flash-plugin),etc. from rpmforge and epel.. Ubuntu

looks nice andall but I just like the simple looks of SL. I don't really like the new fancy stuff of unity and dont' like gnome3 that much either.

I like keeping it simple better [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png[/img]