Linux-Noob Forums
Linux on VMware on iMac - IP/DNS config? - Printable Version

+- Linux-Noob Forums (https://www.linux-noob.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Linux Noob (https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: How Do I? (https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/forum-60.html)
+--- Thread: Linux on VMware on iMac - IP/DNS config? (/thread-928.html)

Linux on VMware on iMac - IP/DNS config? - amagab - 2008-06-07

I have Red Hat Linux running on VMware on my iMac. My network is on the 10.0.1.xxx range but when I check the ifconfig on my Linux install the range is 192.168.2.xxx

Is that because it's running on a virtual machine?

I want it to be on the same network as my iMac....on the 10.0.1.xxx network.

How can I make it that way? I want to run the Linux on same network as everything else.

Help really appreciated.

Thanks!

Linux on VMware on iMac - IP/DNS config? - hybrid - 2008-06-07

The default network setting in your virtual machine will be NAT, which gives the VM its own IP address in its own personal subnet (the 192.168.1.* range you are referring to).

To make the virtual machine share your Mac's connection directly, you need to switch the network mode to Bridged. This will make your VM appear as its own computer on your local network, and it should get a 10.* IP.

This setting should be under Network on the Virtual Machine menu of VMware Fusion.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_06_2008/post-1019-1212874345.png" data-fileid="1099">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_06_2008/post-1019-1212874345.png[/img]</a>

After changing the option, you might have to force the Linux VM to get a new IP address to reflect the new change. You can either restart it, or from a terminal and as root inside the VM, run:

Code:
ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0

to restart the network connection.

I run Linux VMs frequently under Parallels all the time, and I often choose Bridged Networking over the default option to make the VMs appear as computers in their own right to the local network.

More information is available on this page (and is where I sourced that image).

Linux on VMware on iMac - IP/DNS config? - amagab - 2008-06-07

Thanks very much for your help/advice. I'll give it a try. I really appreciate it. I love this forum already.....nice place where a noob like me can get started with Linux. Anyway, my goal is to turn my Linux VM to a webserver and run Scalix off of it.

Thanks again!

Linux on VMware on iMac - IP/DNS config? - hybrid - 2008-06-08

Quote:Thanks very much for your help/advice. I'll give it a try. I really appreciate it. I love this forum already.....nice place where a noob like me can get started with Linux. Anyway, my goal is to turn my Linux VM to a webserver and run Scalix off of it. 

Thanks again!

No problem, that's what we're here for! :)

Linux on VMware on iMac - IP/DNS config? - 5zengya - 2008-06-10

running linux vm and win2k3 vm in a vmware team...

how do i join the team to my real lan settings?

[router (linksys wrt54gc) + pc(vista) + wifi lappy(winxp) + virtual team(win2k3 and redhat9)]