Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
networking server

so here's the deal.

I have one old 486 computer, one AMD 500mhz, and one intel 800mhz.

they are all ethernet enabled.

i have been told that an old 486 with a linux distribution and some tweaking will make a great networking server, but the problem is, i dont know what distribution to use, or how to set the distribution up for networking with the other computers.

basically, i would like to set up the 486 as a server behind my cable modem for the other two computers. i would also like to be able to store and retrieve data on the hard drive of the 486 from the other two computers.

anyone have any clues?

any ideas appreciated.

JJ

We are gonna need a bit more information than that.

What exactly do you want the server to do?

What OS are the other computers running?

and any other information that might pertain to this.

Quote:We are gonna need a bit more information than that. 

the other two computers will be running win2k or winxp...

i would like the server to act as a gateway for the other two computers as well as to be able to be accessed by the other two computers for filesharing purposes IE; if i download something on one of the second computers and dont want to store it on it's hard drive, so i would store it on the server's drive.

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="|Sanchez|" data-cite="|Sanchez|" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="1007" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> We are gonna need a bit more information than that. 

i would like the server to act as a gateway for the other two computers as well as to be able to be accessed by the other two computers for filesharing purposes IE; if i download something on one of the second computers and dont want to store it on it's hard drive, so i would store it on the server's drive.

</div></blockquote>
Well, to share files between the Linux computer and the windows computer, you would have to use samba. To use your computer as a gateway/firewall you would have to use iptables. Although, I would really have to advice not to use samba on your firewall, it just does not seem like a great idea.

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="jjsk8r85" data-cite="jjsk8r85" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="1007" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> <blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="|Sanchez|" data-cite="|Sanchez|" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="1007" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> We are gonna need a bit more information than that. 

</div></blockquote>
Well, to share files between the Linux computer and the windows computer, you would have to use samba. To use your computer as a gateway/firewall you would have to use iptables. Although, I would really have to advice not to use samba on your firewall, it just does not seem like a great idea.

</div></blockquote>
that's the point of my post though. i don't know how to use any of that, and i'm not sure what distribution would be the best for that kind of configuration...

i do have VERY limited experience with mandrake 9, I like it.

if the old pc is a 486, then you are limited as to what you can install on it,

i guess you could install fedora on it, provided that you don't even think about installing the X environment (in other words command line based only)

what are the specs of this old pc ? and remember if you want it to be a 'server' then it'll need two network cards, one for the local network and one for the internet,

if i was you i'd consider (if all you want is internet sharing and security) smoothwall on the 486

[/url][url=http://www.smoothwall.org]http://www.smoothwall.org

cheers

anyweb

Whoa...whoa...whoa. File-sharing? On a 486? I've seen them do some pretty l33t things...but a full time fileshare and firewall? I'd stick with making it a firewall, then just look for a PC with at least 400 hertzies in it, shove in a big-ass hard drive, then use that as the file server. Oh, and welcome to the boards.