Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to install the java plugin in firefox

Quote:PLEASE NOTE, the java download filename and VERSION changes often so the below filename may NOT be what you have just downloaded. In other words, please use YOUR filename in the commands below and NOT the one that I reference to otherwise  you will not get this working.
Quote:In addition the below TIP is for fedora core 1,2,3. For Fedora Core release 4  do this [/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=1707][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=1707]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1707 and scroll down to "Now lets install Java", thats the bit you need.

first of all, why am i doing this small howto, well the 'install missing plugin' for java in firefox didn't work for me, it listed the 'manual installation' icon instead.

so this is what i did in Fedora Core Release 3 using Firefox 1

go to suns site and get the latest java rpm

[/url][url=http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcom...sactionId=noreg]http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcom...sactionId=noreg

download the linux rpm

once done, install it by doing this (login as root by typing su - in a console, thats a 'su' followed by a space, followed by a minus.)

now, cd (change directory) to the directory that you downloaded the rpm to, more than likely it's /home/your_user_name

so if you are anyweb do this,

Code:
cd /home/anyweb

then do this... (PLEASE NOTE, the java download filename changes often so the below filename may NOT be what you have just downloaded, to check what you did download try doing this)

Code:
ls |grep jre

once you have the 'filename' (it could be j2re-1_4_2_06-linux-i586-rpm.bin for example...) then apply THAT to the instructions below,

Code:
[root@localhost anyweb]# chmod +x jre-1_5_0-linux-i586-rpm.bin
[root@localhost anyweb]# ./jre-1_5_0-linux-i586-rpm.bin
Do you agree to the above license terms? [yes or no]
y
Unpacking...
Checksumming...
Extracting...
UnZipSFX 5.42 of 14 January 2001, by Info-ZIP (Zip-Bugs@lists.wku.edu).
 inflating: jre-1_5_0-linux-i586.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
  1:jre                    ########################################### [100%]

Done.

ok now it's installed, lets link firefox plugins directory.

in your home directory (eg: /home/anyweb) there should be a hidden directory called mozilla.

Quote:To find the hidden directories, remember that they are all starting with a . (FULLSTOP/PERIOD) so cd /home/anyweb/.mozilla/plugins will get you to the directory.
so to link this correctly you need to identify your mozilla (yes mozilla !) plugins directory 

here is mine

/home/anyweb/.mozilla/plugins

NOTE: if you do NOT have a /home/username/.mozilla/plugins directory that is because you have not installed any plugins YET in FireFox. If so, you will need to create the directory as the 'normal user' (you) and not as root. Open up another terminal (console) and type

Code:
cd .mozilla
mkdir plugins

cd to that directory (change to that dir) and ln -s (symbolic link) to the java plugin.

Quote:REMINDER: the java download filename and VERSION changes often so the below filename may NOT be what you have just downloaded. In other words, please use YOUR filename in the commands below and NOT the one that I reference to otherwise  you will not get this working.

here's the code now that you have checked what version you downloaded :)

Code:
cd /home/anyweb/.mozilla/plugins
[anyweb@localhost plugins]$ ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
[anyweb@localhost plugins]$ ls
flashplayer.xpt  libflashplayer.so  libjavaplugin_oji.so

ok thats it

once done, close firefox and restart it.

in the address bar type this

Quote:about:plugins
and press enter, you should hopefully now see the following:- 

Quote:Installed plug-insFind more information about browser plug-ins at Netscape.com.

Help for installing plug-ins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org.

Java Plug-in 1.5.0-b64

File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so

Java Plug-in 1.5.0

MIME Type  Description  Suffixes  Enabled

application/x-java-vm  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet;version=1.1  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet;version=1.2  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet;version=1.3  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet;version=1.4  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet;version=1.5  Java Yes

application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.5  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean;version=1.1  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean;version=1.2  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean;version=1.3  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean;version=1.4  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean;version=1.5  Java Yes

application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.5  Java Yes

cheers

anyweb

So, sun decided to change its layout a bit, the link in anywebs post is actually to download jre 1.4.2. the instructions provided will not work, specifically the ln -s line to link the lib to firefox.

simple fix..

go here, and make sure you select the JRE 5.0 Update 1.

[/url][url=http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp]http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

Once you've done this, find the libjavaplugin_oji.so file

updatedb;locate libjavaplugin_oji.so

then run the ln -s with the result you got from the locate command.

Take note, on my system i got 2 results.

/usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

/usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I chose the first one to link to..

soo

cd ~/.mozilla/plugins

ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Now it should link fine. restart firefox and you should be good to go [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png[/img]

If you want to add the plugin globally link it to your firefox plugins dir for 1.0 version it would be:

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_06/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins

Thanks flukex and grep420 for pointing out that :)

If anyone has any other issues with installing the java plugin in FireFox in Fedora Core Release 3 then please post your issues here so that others may learn.

We all need to help each other to help make linux-noob.com a better place for noobs to learn how to get to grips with linux :)

because it sure ain't easy by yourself

cheers

anyweb

linux-noob extrodinaire.

thanx for this howto it worked fine on a mandrake 10 just changed the version of java and everything else was exactly the same B)
I followed the directions for installing java for firefox on fc3. When I goto a website with java firefox just like crashes or closes. Thanks for the help [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ohmy.png[/img]
What version of JRE did you download and which plugin did you link to?

Boy was that confusing! (to the newbie learner that is :/ )

A days worth of work and I've finally got java on my FC4, boy, never wanna go thru all that again, my heads still spinning [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png[/img]:)

Thanks for this post guys :)

I got up to where you type chmod, then it says that theres no such file or directory. How do I make it see the file?

you must chmod +x the_new_name_of_the_file.bin and not the name in the HOWTO above,

cheers

anyweb