Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone tell me?!?!

This would only happen in windows!

One CPU *magically* turns into two overnight! o_O

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/post-12-1104330439.gif" data-fileid="244">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/post-12-1104330439.gif[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.gif   wow.gif (Size: 346.41 KB / Downloads: 0)
lol, its probably the skin / theme that you are using for XP that has screwed up ;)
do you have a hyperthreading cpu?

i do have hyperthreading, i'm also overclocking @3.6Ghz

the processor is the new LGA775 socket and originally it was 3Ghz

hyperthreading=two cpu's as far as windows and linux are concerned

try disabling hyperthreading in the bios and reboot, boom only one cpu appears

cheers

anyweb

so does it run double the speed [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif[/img] or is it windows trying to make out that it is better that it really is? [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ph34r.png[/img]

windows is correctly reporting that there are 'two' cpu's

[/url][url=http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,107492,00.asp]http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,107492,00.asp

linux does the EXACT same thing (install a modern distro on that box and you'll get the SMP kernel by default, smp= Symmetric Multiprocessing )

if you want to know if it runs at double the speed of 'one' cpu then do a benchmark, or better yet, google for Hyperthreading Performance

this is not a windows issue at all,

cheers

anyweb

Hyperthreading in Windows

Hyperthreading in Linux

i'll try most of them!

its not gonna run at twice the speed. using linux in our weather models we get around a 30% performance gain with HT on using the 2.6 kernel. So it is some gain but not twice.

Basically HT allows the CPU to do two commands per clock cycle so it seems it as two cpu's