Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fedora Firefox Problem

Hi all,

I have got a D-Link G604T router/modem, this connects all my computers together with out any problems, I decided to install linux on a rig, I can connect to IRC, GAIM and the rest, just Firefox is causing the problem, any ideas what is wrong? When I try to connect, it says,

sorry, but www.(Website).domain cannot be found.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Have you configured your machine to get an IP automatcally? because the error

its giving could relate to the name server

sounds like you havnt specified any DNS servers (should be two from your ISP)

to check try this

Code:
[anyweb@localhost ~]$ ping 66.102.11.99
PING 66.102.11.99 (66.102.11.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 66.102.11.99: icmp_seq=0 ttl=229 time=84.8 ms
64 bytes from 66.102.11.99: icmp_seq=1 ttl=229 time=84.3 ms

if that works then you have successfuly pinged www.google.com

and that also means that you have no working DNS servers,

cheers

anyweb

when I ping it goes like this

ping 22.22.22.22

Trying 1.0.0.0

nothing happens then.

ok for others with the same problem, here is what fixed it for mistix

read this post

cheers

anyweb

Aswell as what Anyweb said, the problem was with the DNS, Fedora did not automatically configure the router for internet access. Although the DNS was correct on the router, (G604T).

To correctly configure the DNS you need to get root access in the terminal, to do this open the terminal inn the applications menu. Then type

su -

after this type in neat, this will open the network configuration menu, click on the DNS tab, then enter the DNS settings that your ISP gave you.

If you don't have the DNS cable settings type in google your isp followed by DNS, this will most likely get you the details, enter these into the network configuration utillity.

Restart your PC, then follow Anywebs guide to make the internet run faster.

Tip:

The default gateway is 255.255.255.0 most of th time, enter this if you don't have another gateway.

Thanks Anyweb, even though I kept making him repeat everything and he got in a mood :P , he still helped me. Thanks Anyweb.

However the problem still persists, when I boot up Fedora FC3 it still keeps making it go back to DNS 192.168.1.1 instead of the correct one, any ideas how to stop it from auto configuring at the start up?