Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
setting up a internet connection via modem

ello again,

i have linux installed and have a modem installed under a generic modem (i assume this is fine). what do i do next? i did the internet wizard and have a ppp0 connection to my ISP. It says it's activated but I don't see where to dial into at. remember i've never used linux before so if i went about anything wrong, please be paitent. thanks to anyone who decides to help me. (running linux redhat 9.0)

Hi,

i think i can help you if you can step into #linux-noob on irc.efnet.org (EFnet irc network ) so it would be more fun, doing all live.

(hope you got two pc's or something)

one mroe thing you should get a newer distro like fc3 or something...

Also, its fine to setup a "generic modem" but hopefully is actually referencing the physical device, do you know what type of modem it is? You should simply be able to hit the "ACTIVATE" button and it should dial, that is, if everything is setup correctly. If you are using a WinModem of any kind, it is not likely to work. Newer distro's like FC3 now have a much wider range of device support for things like WInModems, which is done via kernel modules.

You should simply be able to click on your ppp0 connection and choose "ACTIVATE"