Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mplayer hell

There are several suggested ways to install mplayer and to use it as a player of embedded videos in firefox. I finally found the right combination for me. For example, the mplayer mozilla plug in never worked, but the generic "mozplugger" did.

I had everything working fine. embedded video played great in most cases.

And now it is broken. I don't know what happened, but somehow I had also broken my nvidia driver. I had done a kernel upgrade and it wasn't working and it took several tries to get it back right. After getting that sorted out, I could no longer watch embedded video with mplayer. (So far, mainly concentrating on quicktime.)

Here is the way I did things. I installed mplayer via synaptic. (actually, I uninstalled and reinstalled as everything had been in place and working fine) I already have the codecs in /usr/lib/win32 which is where they were when I got this to work in the first place. Embedded video now won't play. I read the "read me" in the codecs package and it said to put the codecs in /usr/local/lib/codecs so I tried that as well...no luck.

When I attempt to open the video directly from the terminal I get the following fatal error:

Quote:

mplayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: demux_open

Here is all the output from the terminal:

Quote:

[ty@localhost ~]$ gmplayer [/url]http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/ch...ory/medium.html

MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.4.2 © 2000-2004 MPlayer Team

CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)

Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes

CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0

vo: X11 running at 1024x768 with depth 16 and 16 bpp (":0.0" => local display)

Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied

Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system startup scripts.

Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0

Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0 : No such file or directory

Can't init input joystick

Setting up LIRC support...

mplayer: could not connect to socket

mplayer: No such file or directory

Failed to open LIRC support.

You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing [url=http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/ch...ory/medium.html]http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/ch...ory/medium.html.

Resolving www.apple.com for AF_INET6...

Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: www.apple.com

Resolving www.apple.com for AF_INET...

Connecting to server www.apple.com[17.254.0.91]:80 ...

Cache size set to 320 KBytes

Connected to server: www.apple.com

Cache fill: 1.68% (5493 bytes) XMMS: found plugin: libwav.so (Wave Player 1.2.10)

XMMS: found plugin: libtonegen.so (Tone Generator 1.2.10)

XMMS: found plugin: libcdaudio.so (CD Audio Player 1.2.10)

XMMS: found plugin: libmikmod.so (MikMod Player 1.2.10)

XMMS: found plugin: libvorbis.so (Ogg Vorbis Player 1.2.10)

I don't know how xmms fits into this...I guess it provides the sound for mplayer? I see an issue of "permission denied" but I can't figure out if there is a file I need to change permissions on.

FYI, though I did not have to do this before, I went into gmplayer and selected each of the options under video options. I would select one...try it, select another...all the way down the list. None of them worked. I can find no place within mplayer to see what codecs are available. There is a tab on codecs, but I have no idea what it's asking about. Also, I never messed with any of these tabs the first time I got it to work.

I should say that I had about 15 broken rpm packages after messing with the whole nvidia driver thing. I repaired those packages and mplayer was one of them. I actually reinstalled mplayer completely. Oh, and the same thing happens when I try this in the terminal as root.

I don't know what logs or config files might be handy. Please don't link to install tutorials, as they contradict each other in terms of how to get it the plug in to work (some say mozplugger, some say with the mplayer mozilla plug in. Some say you need codecs, others say you don't need codecs, some say you must compile from source (the dev site, in fact) others say you should use the rpm.)

Why, I wonder, are there so many contradictory ways to get this to function? Are there logs I can look at or post? Specs you need?

I"m in 2.6.9-1.667 fc3 and the mplayer is 1.0pre6-3.4.2 and Firefox is Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041111 Firefox/1.0

At the present time, the behavior is this...I click on a link to a video (I'm using the apple movie trailers site) and the gray box pops up, the dialogue at the bottom says "loading" and then nothing happens...the loading dialogue just says "done". When I use the plugin as opposed to mozplugger then "Mplayer embedded video" appears in the video box and goes through the buffering process, gets to 99 percent and then just sits there.

A couple of other curiosities. At one point I'd given up on Mplayer as went to Totem-xine and the mozilla plug in and it played fine with the exception I'll not below. I should also note that totem-xine so far is the ONLY player that can play audio cd's for me. xmms, gnome cdplayer, realplayer, mplayer...none of them has worked for audio cd's. don't know if that is at all relevant.

Now, Totem-xine stopped working one day (I assume I did something, but no idea what.) So I went back to mplayer as described above. BOTH of them have this other curiosity, however, even when working. At the Apple site, if a link takes me to a site where I choose the resolution to start the video....it worked great. If it goes straight to the video...I get the gray box of death.

I swear, by the virtual gods, that if I ever come to understand this, I will write a very comprehensive how to that acknowledges all the different quirks out there. Until then...can anyone make any suggestions. I wish Firefox had a graphical interface where you can click to see what player is set up to play what mime type and what plugins and codecs are there.

try about:plugins in FireFox

that'll list your installed plugins

Quote:try about:plugins in FireFox 

that'll list your installed plugins

Perfect! Thanks. OH and I solved my problem...I got rid of mplayer and installed xine from this site which is an unofficial rpm site for xine. I followed the directions...no compiling needed and it worked great! So if anyone stumbles onto this topic with similar woes, xine might be a solution.