Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fedora core 3 & gnome

Good afternoon, all.

As stated in the title, I'm running fedora core 3 with gnome, kde and fluxbox.

The problem I'm having is with gnome, which is the default for the system. At first, everything was fine, but now the desktop itself won't draw, either in root or as user.

To describe what I mean: The bars and docks show, but no icons for folders, etc. and the system itself slows down. I've no problems running kde or fluxbox, however. Currently, I can get the terminal and reboot nto another wm, but its a pain in the neck. I dislike having a whole portion of my system unusable, but maybe I'll just have to change the default wm? o_O

I'm somewhat new to gnome and fedora, so I don't really know where to start repairing it or changing the default wm.

TIA

ps- also, is it possible to change the resolution outside of whats offered in the display manager? I know my adapter [prosavage] is capable of running at a higher resolution, but currently none of the desktop will let me go beyond 1024x768 or so.

try the following:

disable selinux

vi /etc/sysconfig/selinux (as root)

Quote:# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:

#    enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.

#    permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.

#    disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.

SELINUX=disabled

# SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:

#    targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.

#    strict - Full SELinux protection.

#SELINUXTYPE=targeted

if that doesnt help (reboot after the change) then up2date your system and/or try disabling the cups service

let us know how you get on

cheers

anyweb

Seems to be doing the trick.

Thanks, anyweb. :)

[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.