Date and time wont say set

Hoy hoy,

I'm not sure if this is the right area to get a response to this topic but figured since this is a RH box that it made sense. I'm running a RH9 box and for some reason at every hour the system clock falls behind about 4 hours. First I made sure the HW clock was set and then used the hwclock commande to set the system time the same as the HW time. So the hw time was 9:15 and now the sys time matched. At the hour mark, the hw time said 10:01 but the sys time was 6:01. They are both set to the AST time zone. What gives? This box also hosts sendmail, could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks

P.S. I'm working on configuring a FC3 box as well to replace this box.

sounds like redhat is updating your time via the internet and needs to be configured (or unconfigured)

double click on the time applet and see is it updating the time via the internet

cheers

anyweb

sounds like redhat is updating your time via the internet and needs to be configured (or unconfigured)

double click on the time applet and see is it updating the time via the internet

cheers

anyweb

Sorry no double clicking here. It's completely command line driven. Want to try to really know the inside and out from the command line before moving on to a GUI. Any way of checking this via the command line?

nope, no ntp process running. I'm going to go through the reste of these processes and figure out the ones that I'm not familiar with. few other things I've noticed.

1. system time is displaying 15:57 as opposed to HW clock displaying 3:57PM both in AST

2. Doesn't seem to happen on the hour mark either. At first, it seemed like as soon as the hour changed from 9 to 10 for example it would change but this isn't the case. I'm going to keep checking for a patern.

maybe you could just run ntpd rather than a cron job but nevertheless weird issue.

It could be.. but it could also be the CMOS battery (most are suppose to last 3-5 years).

If it would be the CMOS, wouldnt this affect the hardware clock and not the system time?

:huh: i suddenly feel i maybe failed to spot that.. :rolleyes: your dead right of course... the hwclock is keeping time and so it cannot be the CMOS...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.