Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Date and time wont say set

Hoy hoy,

I'm not sure if this is the right area to get a response to this topic but figured since this is a RH box that it made sense. I'm running a RH9 box and for some reason at every hour the system clock falls behind about 4 hours. First I made sure the HW clock was set and then used the hwclock commande to set the system time the same as the HW time. So the hw time was 9:15 and now the sys time matched. At the hour mark, the hw time said 10:01 but the sys time was 6:01. They are both set to the AST time zone. What gives? This box also hosts sendmail, could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks

P.S. I'm working on configuring a FC3 box as well to replace this box.

sounds like redhat is updating your time via the internet and needs to be configured (or unconfigured)

double click on the time applet and see is it updating the time via the internet

cheers

anyweb

Quote:sounds like redhat is updating your time via the internet and needs to be configured (or unconfigured) 

double click on the time applet and see is it updating the time via the internet

cheers

anyweb

Sorry no double clicking here. It's completely command line driven. Want to try to really know the inside and out from the command line before moving on to a GUI. Any way of checking this via the command line?

ps aux | grep ntp

if you get a hit back then your have ntp checking a remote server for the current time

nope, no ntp process running. I'm going to go through the reste of these processes and figure out the ones that I'm not familiar with. few other things I've noticed.

1. system time is displaying 15:57 as opposed to HW clock displaying 3:57PM both in AST

2. Doesn't seem to happen on the hour mark either. At first, it seemed like as soon as the hour changed from 9 to 10 for example it would change but this isn't the case. I'm going to keep checking for a patern.

try using date to set the time see if it keeps the time after a reboot, issue the command:

Code:
date --set=

Quote:try using date to set the time see if it keeps the time after a reboot, issue the command: 

Code:
date --set=
Screw it since I can't find the actuall cause of this and I'm rebuilding a box, I've just created a cron job that syncs the sys time witht the hwclock evey 15min.
maybe you could just run ntpd rather than a cron job but nevertheless weird issue.
I think I'm going to look into ntpd because the cronjob still sint helping...I can't determine a specific time when it falls over again but I keep noticing that the time gets changed. Might be a kernel problem or something of the sort?