Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you put together a new install

I've just completed the server install of FC3 text mode. No GUI for me. Maybe in the future but not yet. I would like to configure this server as a mail server (either SendMail or PostFix, I've never used postfix however), DNS, Samba, SFTP, DHCP for starters. I'm hoping someone could offer some advice as to what to start with first. I just completed the install and am now at the command prompt but I'm not sure where to begin or if there is any recommended "tweaking" to be done. How do you approach a fresh new system configuration process?

Thanks and Salute! :)

A

You should start with SFTP :)as that is the simplest to setup as its just SSH.
i prefer postfix over sendmail.. the sendmail config is like reading some ancient text
Do you think I should go through each indevidual service I want and start configuring them? theres no order that would be more efficiant or certain administrative tasks recommended to perform first?

Quote:i prefer postfix over sendmail.. the sendmail config is like reading some ancient text

Got any pointers for postfix? does it still use plain mbox? What's the main differences of the two?

Thanks!

Here's my suggestions

sftp - openssh

dns/dhcp - dnsmasq

postfix

samba

I though Sendmail is good :)you not use this znx?

AsProductions have a look at sendmail before you ditch it ;)

Quote:I though Sendmail is good :)you not use this znx? 

AsProductions have a look at sendmail before you ditch it ;)

I'm using an preconfigured install of Sendmail right now. But I want to learn how to set it up from scratch. probably try configuring both and see how it does. But I've that some people wen from Sendmail to PostFix. Been trying to find some information on why you would want to switch.

Quite alot of people switch because Postfix has an good comments in the configuration

file.

another reason for leaving sendmail is the disgusting config files...