Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Partitioning two hd's
I've tried to install Fedora Core3 but I'm having trouble with the partitioning and boot-loader. I want to install it on my hard drive with Windows XP on it, but I also want to reserve some storage on the other, bigger hard-drive. I also don't want windows to boot automatically, I want to choose which one to boot from a menu. Please help me into the linux community, I'm learning C++ and would like to be able to contribute oneday. :)
what distro are you looking to install?
Fedora Core 3?

you need to create a blank partition with partition magic or similar on the xp hard drive

10 gigs should be enough, more is better

install fedora on that and it'll handle dual boot for you

cheers

anyweb

Update! : I'm screwing Fedora Core 3 and going for Mandrake. That also brings up problems. It says i have sda and sdb hard drives, which is correct. It also says that i have VolGroup00!?! which it says is 147 Gb, which is about the same size as my bigger hd. But it already recognizes my other HD!&$%# ...calming down... it won't let me past this installation point because of that. I don't know what to do. Plz help me my second hard-drive and linux disks are going to waste. Is there anything else you need to know?

Quote:Update! : I'm screwing Fedora Core 3 and going for Mandrake. That also brings up problems. It says i have sda and sdb hard drives, which is correct. It also says that i have VolGroup00!?! which it says is 147 Gb, which is about the same size as my bigger hd. But it already recognizes my other HD!&$%# ...calming down... it won't let me past this installation point because of that. I don't know what to do. Plz help me my second hard-drive and linux disks are going to waste. Is there anything else you need to know?

VolGroup.. sounds like lvm. when you partitioned what type did you select ? maybe you should stick with 'Linux Native' as a partition type.

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="K0K0NUT_h3lmut" data-cite="K0K0NUT_h3lmut" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="1471" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Update! : I'm screwing Fedora Core 3 and going for Mandrake. That also brings up problems. It says i have sda and sdb hard drives, which is correct. It also says that i have VolGroup00!?! which it says is 147 Gb, which is about the same size as my bigger hd. But it already recognizes my other HD!&$%# ...calming down... it won't let me past this installation point because of that. I don't know what to do. Plz help me my second hard-drive and linux disks are going to waste. Is there anything else you need to know?

VolGroup.. sounds like lvm. when you partitioned what type did you select ? maybe you should stick with 'Linux Native' as a partition type.

</div></blockquote>

I think I saw something about lvm on there, but I think i tried doing ext3 (journalisedFS?). Could i have also screwed this up by using windows XP administrative tools Computer Management in an attempt to allocate or format or partition the big hard-drive?

Quote:I think I saw something about lvm on there, but I think i tried doing ext3 (journalisedFS?). Could i have also screwed this up by using windows XP administrative tools Computer Management in an attempt to allocate or format or partition  the big hard-drive?

in all honesty ive never created a partition with winxp's management .. i have used it, but not for that purpose. i couldnt really tell you what its done.

however, what i meant by lvm, was that the partition type had been indicated as lvm. when you create a partition you need specify its type. it is possible that it has been label as lvm type. this can cause problems when you then attempt to put a differing type on it.

what you'll need to do is recreate the partition and select "Linux Native" as the type. hopefully then when the installation attempts to format and prepare the partition is won't go nuts :)

The problem was my printer...the setup mistook it for a hard drive.

wow.. i've never come across that.. good to know for the future.. thanks for giving the feedback

so hows the installation gone?