Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Read only linux

Hi All

An utter noob to Linux I now have a mini itx pc to build. I am going to be installing it in my car and it will have a 8" touch screen. I need it to do the following:

1 play Mp3's

2 play the odd dvd/divx

3 work as a sat nav system (http://www.directions.ltd.uk/)

Now because of speed and shock resistance I have the following storage devices:

IDE- to compact flash converter + 512mb CF

20gb 2.5 hdd

DVDr / CDr/rw drive

I want to install Linux to the CF and make it read only as this apparently stops the CF from breaking down over time with use. the other thing i would like to do is get it so that the MP3 file that is being played (+ the next one ideally) are played form ram and not the hard disk, while the HDD isnt in use I'd like it to self park so that when i hit those big potholes the hdd doesn't get damaged by the shock.

Interface wise I've used KDE and Gnome so I'm happy with either of them. I have a suse 9.3 DVD here but will go with what ever people feel is best! I will have to install samba as I need to copy multimedia to the HDD from time to time.

Can any one help?

Thanks

Andy

i'm a mod over at mp3car.com stop over if you haven't heard of us.. yes its very possible.. you can customize a livecd like slax to fit on a usb thumb drive. You can tell the bootloader to mount your root drive as readonly..

I had linux in my car for about a year before i pulled my system out

going over there now, why did you pull your system out?

Andy

there is a subforum dedicated to linux. I pulled my system out cause i dumped my gf who lived 2 hours away and my current gf lives with me now. We also moved about an mile from my work about a year ago so i'm never in the car