Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suse 9.3

Hello all,

I have a bit of a problem. I installed apache/php/mysql all through YaST on a suse 9.3 distro. The problem is the server runs perfectly, but I cannot write or edit in the root directory of apache, so I have to manually configure via terminal I guess (suse doesnt allow graphical root login :S). I do know how to configure through terminal, only by edting .conf (but i may not overwrite). And another major problem, to my concern the ugliest one mysql won't run. It keeps spitting out:

#2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured)

I've read the forumpost but the directories do not match, also apache/php/mysql are already installed so starting from scratch doesn't work for me either.. Someone using suse here ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thnx in advance..

Carl.

Quote:Hello all, 

I have a bit of a problem. I installed apache/php/mysql all through YaST on a suse 9.3 distro. The problem is the server runs perfectly, but I cannot write or edit in the root directory of apache, so I have to manually configure via terminal I guess (suse doesnt allow graphical root login :S). I do know how to configure through terminal, only by edting .conf (but i may not overwrite). And another major problem, to my concern the ugliest one mysql won't run. It keeps spitting out:

#2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured)

I've read the forumpost but the directories do not match, also apache/php/mysql are already installed so starting from scratch doesn't work for me either.. Someone using suse here ?

not a suse user, but ....

the "docroot" is probably setup as the server's user (apache), this will mean that you cannot write to the dir. if you alter your group to be a part of the servers group (again apache?) then you should be capable of writing into the directory. do:

Code:
ls -ld DOCROOT

obviously put in your DocRoot (search your conf). this will show you the ownership of the directory.

not sure about the mysql error.. browsing google.. see this topic for info on disabling selinux, not sure that this is the cause more a guess

thnx ZNX for replying,

problem solved : Suse installs everything but does not set users for mysql,

asked for some help on chatroom on the irc network.

/etc/innit.d/mysql -u root -p password '<newpassword>'

is all it took..

Again thanx for the time and effort you put into it.

Greetz,

Carl.

Code:
mysql -u root -p password '<newpassword>'

not with the /etc/init.d [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png[/img]

but glad to here it was fixed .. oh and welcome to the forums :P