Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3d desktop
I am trying to get 3d Desktop running on Fedora Core 3. I keep running into dependency issues with rpms. They say the needed files like XFree86-libs aren't there but if I try to install them i can't because it says they are there. Someone please help me. I want to get this working.

fedora core release 3 uses xorg not xfree86

what is this 3d desktop software you are trying to install exactly ?

cheers

anyweb

Quote:fedora core release 3 uses xorg not xfree86 

what is this 3d desktop software you are trying to install exactly ?

cheers

anyweb

it is a pager that runs seemlessly with kde and allows you to change virtual desktops in a "3d" environment instead of just using the pager on the taskbar. For more info check the sourceforge site 3d desktop

if you are installing from source.. its probably the -devel rpms that arent installed. as with most package systems the header files and development libs are left out of the main packages.

look for package-version-devel.rpm or -dev. these contains the 'extras' to allow you to compile from source.

Quote:if you are installing from source.. its probably the -devel rpms that arent installed. as with most package systems the header files and development libs are left out of the main packages. 

look for package-version-devel.rpm or -dev. these contains the 'extras' to allow you to compile from source.

Any ideas of where I can find them? I can't find them. And will installing XFree86 affect anything I already have running such as a different X windows server?

just so that you understand: xorg was made from a branch from xfree86 (due to some license alterations). when a lot of stuff talks about xfree86 it can (unfortunately) relate to either xorg or xfree86.

you will have xorg installed.. as anyweb said. so what you will need is something like:

xorg-x11-devel-6.8.1.fc3.rpm

if you have apt installed, you should be able to:

Code:
apt-get install xorg-x11-devel

not sure what the similar yum line would be but taking a guess

Code:
yum install xorg-x11-devel

Quote:just so that you understand: xorg was made from a branch from xfree86 (due to some license alterations). when a lot of stuff talks about xfree86 it can (unfortunately) relate to either xorg or xfree86. 

you will have xorg installed.. as anyweb said. so what you will need is something like:

xorg-x11-devel-6.8.1.fc3.rpm

if you have apt installed, you should be able to:

Code:
apt-get install xorg-x11-devel

<div>

not sure what the similar yum line would be but taking a guess

Code:
yum install xorg-x11-devel

</div>

According to apt I already have the newest version of xorg-x11-devel

Quote:According to apt I already have the newest version of xorg-x11-devel

mmmh ok.. maybe its another devel package from xorg. try giving apt a search:

Code:
apt-cache search xorg | grep devel

hopefully that will give you a suggestion?

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="genommen" data-cite="genommen" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="1539" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>According to apt I already have the newest version of xorg-x11-devel

mmmh ok.. maybe its another devel package from xorg. try giving apt a search:

Code:
apt-cache search xorg | grep devel

hopefully that will give you a suggestion?

</div></blockquote>

Haven't found any others. Got any other ideas?

Quote:Haven't found any others. Got any other ideas?

[img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_dry.png[/img] rpm hell, its too little a used term

Quote:Requirements------------

OpenGL/Mesa (Hardware acceleration is required)

GLX

XF86VidMode extensions

Imlib2

For compilation:

XFree86-devel

imlib2-devel

Thats from the site.. do you have these installed?