Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Network problems between XP and Fedora Core 4
Ok i have a problem, before the installation of fedora 4 i used dsl line in xp all the time, i have no firewalls in xp or linux ( atleast i think i dont im a linux no0b) . after i install fedora 4 i figured out how to set up my dsl line and connect and it worked the first time like a charm however when i logged back into xp i can connect to my dsl line but when i try to surf the web or connect to anything web related such as instant messenger it is like i am not online, firefox cannot find goolge to start at homepage and whatnot. but i log out of xp and log in and restart the connection and it willl work fine for about 5 minutes and then time out. the same thing happened when i logged back in linux but i disabled etho and created my own setup and it worked fine im on linux right now. i doubt that xp will work when i go back in and i dont understand why. can anyone help

you should use a firewall in both xp and linux, not using one is a bad idea today.

that said you'll need to diagnose this problem some more., are you having the same issue in both xp and linux ? does your provider need you to login using a username and password ?

when the internet connection fails in linux or xp can you open up a command prompt (or console) and type

Code:
ping 81.229.167.48

does that work ?

if so you may have DNS issues,

good luck and welcome to the forums

cheers

anyweb

ill try to ping in xp when i reboot. i cant find any information on this problem at all no matter how i search. im pretty sure that when i installed fedora it messed up xps connection. i can connect in fedora anytime i login, but when i log into xp it might work for 10 minutes and then my web surfing hangs and i cant access any pages because i get a time out message. instant messenger cannot connect after this happens either, however the connection icon at the bottom right of windows says i am still connected to my dsl provider even though i cant conect to any website. if i log off and log back on i may gain access for a minute but it stops responding even sooner. all the while my connection can connect and disconnect fine but it is as if it wasnt connected. i cannot be dependent on linux for internet acces someone please help

o_O

i ping after i cannot surf anymore in xp and i get no response. i look for anything that says DNS in windows, find something in windows services i disable profile 1. dont know if this means anything but now when i logged on it stays a lot longer online for surfing. but times out when trying to access after a while. however i can still search on google but cant click on any websites but now i can disconnect and connect and it will work for a while again instaed of me having to logoff and log back on.
ok i have no idea what the problem is i dont think i will be able to resolve it, another problem is when i log into xp now it doesnt recognize a sound driver even though when i log on to fedora 4 there is sound, im thinking its fedoras fault and will now attempt to clean my system of fedora. maybe some good guidance qould help as i cannot figure out how to install, i cannot see the linux partitions and when i use xp boot disk i dont know how to run this fixmbr command when i go to boot normally after its checking hardware devices i get a blank screen it doesnt go any further. HELP :/

dude

it's clear that you don't know what you are doing

so take my advice

Quote:stop and think for a moment 

then join #linux-noob on EFNET (IRC) and ask our team members for live assistance

if XP and Fedora are causing you issues then I don't think blaming Fedora is the best way forward.

did you try to enable a firewall in XP yet ? perhaps you are spyridden ?

check here for details of enabling a FIREWALL in XP and getting rid of SPYWARE and other nasties

linux-noob.com sister site

to enable the firewall in fedora, open a console as root and type

Code:
lokkit

set it to enabled and save

however... i don't think there is any need as it's enabled by default

see this screenshot of a standard installation of Fedora (core release 4) to see what I mean.

you'd physically have to 'disable' the firewall in that screenshot, in order to have no firewall.

ok... are you gonna join us on #linux-noob to talk about this ? before you do anything silly ?

cheers

anyweb

Quote:Ok i have a problem, before the installation of fedora 4 i used dsl line in xp all the time, i have no firewalls in xp or linux ( atleast i think i dont im a linux no0b) .  after i install fedora 4 i figured out how to set up my dsl line and connect and it worked the first time like a charm however when i logged back into xp i can connect to my dsl line but when i try to surf the web or connect to anything web related such as instant messenger it is like i am not online, firefox cannot find goolge to start at homepage and whatnot.  but i log out of xp and log in and restart the connection and it willl work fine for about 5 minutes and then time out.  the same thing happened when i logged back in linux but i disabled etho and created my own setup and it worked fine im on linux right now.  i doubt that xp will work when i go back in and i dont understand why.  can anyone help

First up, I agree with anyweb, firewall are a must... Now you say when you logged back into WinXP that the connection problem began. Was this instantly, the first time, or after some usage?

Sometimes when you get a virus on WinXP it can try to send so much stuff out the connection that it can completely block all traffic and finally force you off the internet. The fact that the connection still works with linux sort of confirms this behaviour.

You will need several things to clear the virus/spyware, one a firewall (to stop it sending out and to stop more getting in), two an anti-vrius utility (my preference is Grisoft's AVG its free and so are the updates, NOTE don't install this unless you have NO anti-virus protection, installing two at the same time can cause real nightmares), three some sort of spyware cleaning utility, say SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster, Microsoft AntiSpyware (I would install all three update and run them all).

Hopefully this will clean up your windows machine.

Quote:ok i have no idea what the problem is i dont think i will be able to resolve it, another problem is when i log into xp now it doesnt recognize a sound driver even though when i log on to fedora 4 there is sound, im thinking its fedoras fault and will now attempt to clean my system of fedora. maybe some good guidance qould help as i cannot figure out how to install, i cannot see the linux partitions and when i use xp boot disk i dont know how to run this fixmbr command when i go to boot normally after its checking hardware devices i get a blank screen it doesnt go any further. HELP  :/

The difficulties with WinXP can probably all be related to this possible virus. Only once your machine is cleaned and free of spyware will you be able to tell if its related.

Also DON'T run fixmbr, this utility is for Windows XP systems only and will remove all ability to get into Linux (thus stopping all your internet possiblities).

If you find that you cannot clean the viruses/spyware, try rebooting and when your machine is booting into WinXP (just before the logo screen) press F8, then choose 'Safe Mode' this will allow you into the WinXP with all the minimal settings, then you can try the anti-virus and such from there. Reboot and all should be well.

BTW, if you do find a virus clean and reboot, then run another full scan, keep doing this until all viruses are gone for good.

And finally Good Luck!

Srry for seeming so noobish i love fedora i just cant do without internet until i kno more about it, so im not downing it. I doubt that this has anything to do with virus' or spy ware because i clean installed both xp and fedora and i havent even put anything on xp as yet really. al i did was connect to the internet, i made sure i disabled messenger service and rpc services before as from experience ithey would have caused probs in the near future. then connected and it connects for a while yes, so maybe this is a virus, i have no way of knowing i dont have access to the internet long enough to download anything such as spy bot or whatever. I would install fedora again i just wish i could uninstall everything first. also i dont have much experience with irc but wait...i think i remember seeing that installed already on linux. so i will attempt to navigate there for the time being.
i think ive fixed the problem, apparently i had a virus in xp that was using all of my connection and shutting me out of it. i reinstalled linux and fedora and have been online in xp for a while now hopefully i stay online with no problems, and i will gladly keep fedora. thanks for the help.

Quote:i think ive fixed the problem, apparently i had a virus in xp that was using all of my connection and shutting me out of it. i reinstalled linux and fedora and have been online in xp for a while now hopefully i stay online with no problems, and i will gladly keep fedora.  thanks for the help.

i think that you should definetly enable a firewall in XP and fedora from now on, firewalls will block not only outside attacks against you, but will potentially block worms as well,

it may have been a worm that infected you, and if you had no firewall, most likely it was

cheers

anyweb