Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hi im gus

hey, im gus and ive decided to go linux yet need to choose a distro. i have 4

intell p11 pc's and a lot of spare time :). im very intrested in learning as much code as i can so i dont want too much GUI. i was thinking of dabian sarge but very unsure. i have never even seen a linux pc o_O . if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

hi and welcome

if you are new to linux then try something that is relatively easy for a linux noob

distros (distrobutions) that i'd recommend for linux noobs include

Fedora Core Release 4 (http://fedora.redhat.com)

Suse Linux Professional 9.3 (http://www.suse.com)

Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.org)

i run Fedora :)

cheers

anyweb

Welcome abroad. :)
didnt reely want to try red hat first and i was impressed with the install walkthrough on there website. any other sigjestions?

Quote:didnt reely want  to try red hat first and i was impressed with the install walkthrough on there website. any other sigjestions?

i ment the dabian website [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ohmy.png[/img] . not to sat i dont like red hat after all ive never wven seen it.

has anyone used sarge?

if you have never tried linux before, sarge (debian) will seem like pulling your toenails off with a hacksaw.

but it's entirely up to you what you want to try,

cheers and good luck

anyweb

Quote:if you have never tried linux before, sarge (debian) will seem like pulling your toenails off with a hacksaw. 

but it's entirely up to you what you want to try,

cheers and good luck

anyweb

i just enjoy jumping in over my head lol.

(i hope im a good swimmer)

thx, gus

i think im going to try knoppix 4 a couple of days ill let you know how it gose, then agan im sure ill have some questions. :)

Quote:i think im going to try knoppix 4 a couple of days ill let you know how it gose, then agan im sure ill have some questions. :)

hey gus.. welcome, using a live cd like knoppix is a great way to dip your toe into the linux world. knoppix is based on debian.

but really getting into arguments over which distro is right for you.. i'll say this, most of the people that i have started out on linux ive given them debian, recently however with the latest fedora (core 4) i started aiming people that way, NOW.. with the release of the latest version of debian.. well i might be aiming them back the way [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif[/img] oh the joys of distro choice..

all GNU/Linux is WONDERFUL B)

i installed sarge today. and i only reinstalled it 5 times lOl. but all and all the install went nicely. www.aboutdebian.com has a great walkthrough i had no trouble with it and this is the first time i get to feast my eyes on all that is linux.

Good Times

gus