Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IBM Thinkpad 23, Fedora Core 4, and me

Hi all! My names Anthony and I'm starting college (network security as a major) and need some hand-holding getting my Linux box set up. Let's just say I've got over a decade of experience with DOS and Windows, but this is going to be my first foray into another operating system... setup and usage and everything.

When I say first foray, I mean it... I'm still trying to decipher installation instructions, where I put them in, etc. At this point, I'm working on installing Dag Repo (YUM and all those good things) and TPCTL to the system and feel like the first time I got lost in the DOS command prompt when I was a kid. Yuck, I hate the hopeless feeling.

Anyway, any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

i say.. just pop in the fedora cd1 and then just blow away windows :)if you want to dual boot on the same drive its a bit tricky if you have to split it up.. i haven't done that in 10 years

Quote:i say.. just pop in the fedora cd1 and then just blow away windows :)if you want to dual boot on the same drive its a bit tricky if you have to split it up.. i haven't done that in 10 years

No, good sir, Windows shan't come near this box. It's what I use on my main desktop (for the time being), but learning Linux just seems like a good idea.

well then its easy

insert cd1 of fedora core release 4 and choose the installation type you want (desktop or whatever)

then insert the other cd's it asks for

and away you go

to see the installation from start to finish look here

[/url][url=https://www.linux-noob.com/screenshots/fedora/4/install/]https://www.linux-noob.com/screenshots/fedora/4/install/

cheers and welcome to the forums

anyweb

Thank you for the welcome. :)

I've gotten Fedora 4 installed already, but I'm moreso tearing my hair out over installing programs and drivers.

For one thing... I can't seem to find the command prompt/console.

pop into EFNET on IRC and have a chat with us live

theres always someone there to help

meet us in #linux-noob

cheers

anyweb

Quote:Hi all!

\o/ welcome somna :)