Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intel Wireless 2200BG
I am having an issue getting my wireless to work with FC4. I am new to linux so please be descriptive. I downloaded the firmware from sourceforge and put it in the /lib/firmware folder. What do I have to do next? I do not see any wireless settings in my FC4 network section. Please help :/

what does ifconfig report ?

cheers

anyweb

ifconfig reports nothing..unless i dont have ifconfig installed ( i am a linux noob so please excuse me if its already installed with FC4 :) ). In the services section of FC4 it says eth0 is configured and eth1 is active. Last night I was getting help from someone on freenode with the driver issue. The toshiba specs for my Satellite M35X-S1492 state that I have an Atheros miniPCI integrated wireless 802.11a/b/g card. Other specs also state I have an Intel WirelessPro 2200BG. Whatever this means I dont know but I guess its an Intel card with Atheros chipset or something. I tried installing MadWifi via 2 new rpms for it but I don't see any wireless settings. When I do try to activate it in the scroll box it scrolls really fast device interface 'different numbers' not found. I put different numbers because it has random numbers there. ie

device interface '20458' not found

device interface '12574' not found

It does this over and over with random numbers. I am quite lost as to what to do. I do not know what to do next or how to configure wireless. I saw the ipw2200.sourceforge.net website but what drivers do I use? The Atheros or the Intel 2200BG? Any help is greatly appreciated. If you need anymore info please let me know. Thanks

Quote:I am having an issue getting my wireless to work with FC4.  I am new to linux so please be descriptive.  I downloaded the firmware from sourceforge and put it in the /lib/firmware folder.  What do I have to do next?  I do not see any wireless settings in my FC4 network section.  Please help :/

most of the users that have experienced problems with wireless under fc4 seem to get it working with ndiswrapper..

Thanks for the info. Anyweb what do you think?

if you attempted to run the command 'ifconfig' as a normal user it wouldn't work. become root and then try again:

Code:
# su -
<password>
# ifconfig

Quote:I saw the ipw2200.sourceforge.net website but what drivers do I use?  The Atheros or the Intel 2200BG?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  If you need anymore info please let me know.  Thanks

[/url]http://atrpms.net/name/ipw2200/

[url=http://atrpms.net/dist/common/ipw2200-firmware/]http://atrpms.net/dist/common/ipw2200-firmware/

Those are what you will need.. should be able to do:

Code:
# yum install ipw2200 ipw2200-firmware

As long as the atrpms repos is in your source setup..

Thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated. I had tried running the RPM last night. It said something about a dependency. I think a kernel module was needed or something. What is this? I am assuming I should try the ipw software update first? Then if that doesn't work I should try the ndiswrapper..I'll need to find a good guide for that. Also, do I need to configure anything for wireless in my network connections? I mean like DNS, Default gateway, subnet mask etc. There are no values in there unless im using my Realtek nic onboard that came with my Satellite M35X-S1492, which works fine. Its just the wireless. Thanks.
I found information that someone posted about getting wireless cards to work on FC4 but dont know what model. the user stated "After changing the BIOS setting for the wireless card from "Application / Fn-F2" to just "Application" every thing fell into place." How would i change the bios or see if its set wrong? Could this be an issue?

heres how i got my intel wireless 2200bg to work in fedora (core release 5 test 2)

same principles should more or less apply across most distros

[/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2001][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2001]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2001

cheers

anyweb