Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cant Install :(

Cant seem to install on an AMD K6-700MHZ system, i cant even get XP pro to reinstall i hvae i think the award bios, and i set it to boot my xp/fedora core cd's and it always says theres a problem invalid system disk, boot from atapi cd-rom: failure so im at a stuc here my original plan was..

Format, Install XP Professionall on my 60GB hardrive.

Set everything up, patches,drivers, etc

then i would install Fedora Core 4

on my 2nd hardrive that for some reaosn is considered my primary even when its not, install fedora core 4 on my 20gb hardrive im really interested in Linux and want to broden my knowledge =/ i try alot of os's mandrake was my first linux i tried linspere, suse, and Gentoo but Fedora Core looks Promising and cool :P HELP!!! [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ph34r.png[/img]

Damn Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

Quote:Cant seem to install on an AMD K6-700MHZ system, i cant even get XP pro to reinstall i hvae i think the award bios, and i set it to boot my xp/fedora core cd's and it always says theres a problem invalid system disk, boot from atapi cd-rom: failure so im at a stuc here my original plan was..

both windowsxp and fedora have the ability to start there installations from a boot disk (winxp has 4 disks if i remember correctly, and fc has one?) these will allow you to boot the cd from floppy, thus getting around the problem :)

Quote:Format, Install XP Professionall on my 60GB hardrive. 

this is the correct path, after format add in Partition ;) 

Quote:on my 2nd hardrive that for some reaosn is considered my primary even when its not, install fedora core 4 on my 20gb hardrive im really interested in Linux and want to broden my knowledge =/ i try alot of os's mandrake was my first linux i tried linspere, suse, and Gentoo but Fedora Core looks Promising and cool :P HELP!!! [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ph34r.png[/img]

the 2nd harddrive is considered your primary? ok this could be possible that the harddisk hasnt been installed correctly, check the cables and jumpers on the disk and ensure all is well. the connection of the primary drive must go into IDE channel 1 with the jumper set to Master, equally any secondary drive must be 'slave' if on the same channel or master if on the second IDE channel.

if none of that makes sense kick me [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif[/img] maybe ill give it a better explanation

Quote:Damn Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

[img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ohmy.png[/img] thats it.. torture required! never shall ye post again [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png[/img]

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Substance" data-cite="Substance" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="1702" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Cant seem to install on an AMD K6-700MHZ system, i cant even get XP pro to reinstall i hvae i think the award bios, and i set it to boot my xp/fedora core cd's and it always says theres a problem invalid system disk, boot from atapi cd-rom: failure so im at a stuc here my original plan was..

both windowsxp and fedora have the ability to start there installations from a boot disk (winxp has 4 disks if i remember correctly, and fc has one?) these will allow you to boot the cd from floppy, thus getting around the problem :)

Quote:Format, Install XP Professionall on my 60GB hardrive. 

this is the correct path, after format add in Partition ;) 

Quote:on my 2nd hardrive that for some reaosn is considered my primary even when its not, install fedora core 4 on my 20gb hardrive im really interested in Linux and want to broden my knowledge =/ i try alot of os's mandrake was my first linux i tried linspere, suse, and Gentoo but Fedora Core looks Promising and cool :P HELP!!! [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ph34r.png[/img]

the 2nd harddrive is considered your primary? ok this could be possible that the harddisk hasnt been installed correctly, check the cables and jumpers on the disk and ensure all is well. the connection of the primary drive must go into IDE channel 1 with the jumper set to Master, equally any secondary drive must be 'slave' if on the same channel or master if on the second IDE channel.

if none of that makes sense kick me [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif[/img] maybe ill give it a better explanation

Quote:Damn Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
[img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ohmy.png[/img] thats it.. torture required! never shall ye post again [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png[/img]

</div></blockquote>

hehee i now have a different problem :( i gave up on my dads old amd rig cause he trade it in for a tax right off or something?

anyways my rig:

Mobo: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Rev 2.0 (1022) :shades:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.2CGHZ 800FSB

Memory: 1GB GamerPro DDR400 CL 2-2-2

Storage: 2x SATA 200GB Seagate Hardrive

Storage: 1 x EIDE 160GB Seagate Hardrive

Storage: 1 x EIDE 80GB Western Digital Hardrive

Videocard:Powercolor Radeon 9800SE @Pro

Power: Thermaltake 420Watt Powersupply (soon to be 500watts)

OS:Windows XP Professional w/SP2 Soon to be Dual Boot with Fedora Core 4

well i want ot dual boot xp and fedora core but i had a tad to many hardrives :P

i got fedora core isntalled to my 80GB hardrive but its paritioned into 40:40GB so i have my Anime on my NTFS parittion 40GB and i have fC4 on my 2nd parition ok, i installed it to my 2nd partition and all went well but when i booted into linux using fc4 1st disc to rescue then i typed grub-install /dev/hdc2 then i typed dd if=/dev/hdc2 of=fc4boot.bin bs=512 count=1 ok. so i ftp the bin file to my ftp server

downloaded it by xp and placed it in my C:\ i edited my C:\boot.ini

and added this to the end

c:\fc4boot.bin="Fedora Core 4"

ok i got really excited when i rebooted and saw itr there i went yay!! i selected Fedora Core 4. and i got a GRUB and a blinking cursor so im going huh!? what did i do wrong..

im so close but So damn far also if iwas to install Boot/grub to the mbr of my sATA hardrive with xp and rebooted i should get the grub bootloader but if something goes wrong how would i restore my previous MBR?

Thanks again

for reference: my posts are also here.

[/url][url=http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.p...3367#post323367]http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.p...3367#post323367

Thanks its always good to get feedback :) thx for it!!!