Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi
Hey everyone, looks like finally ive decided that linux is definatley the way forward, and i hope maybee you can point me in the right direction in to choosing an operating system and so on that best suits my hardware. Regards L150 o_O

welcome to the forums

what type of hardware do you have ?

cheers

anyweb

Here is my current spec for my system: [note] im not shore on what mother board [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ohmy.png[/img] It's a laptop.

Harddrive: 40GB

Processor: P4 2.48GHZ

Ram: 248MB

DVD/RW

CD/RW

That's about all i know from looking in CP , what would you recommend for me im as new as they come for linux with the above system specifications :)

regards L150

Also i will be looking to connect through the internet using a wireless usb network adaptor provided by netgear is it possible to get this configured to linux as it depends its windows software to work?

If this is not possible i shall run an Rj45 straight from my router to my laptop. if that would still work which i belive would.

Other than that i'm greatfull for any help you offer me regards L150 B)

try fedora core release 4

[/url][url=http://fedora.redhat.com]http://fedora.redhat.com

cheers

anyweb

Hey,

Thanks for the help anyweb on the selection, I have heard problems with LAG with this distro [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ohmy.png[/img] But i just dont no who to beleive can you confirm it for me?

Also Is it hard for connetivity to the internet? regards L150

nop, i have it on my P3 laptop, forgot the cpu's GHz, but it's between 2.5-7.. gnome (the graphical user interface) runs smoothly and pretty fast, oh, and that's with 512 MB of RAM, it realy depends on your RAM+CPU.. and you could use a lightweight GUI like blackbox or fluxbox.

Quote:nop, i have it on my P3 laptop,  forgot the cpu's GHz, but it's between 2.5-7.. gnome (the graphical user interface) runs smoothly and pretty fast, oh, and that's with 512 MB of RAM, it realy depends on your RAM+CPU.. and you could use a lightweight GUI like blackbox or fluxbox.

What would you say is the minimum of ram? before lagging? im running 256mb what you think? regards L150 o_O

Quote:Hey everyone, looks like finally ive decided that linux is definatley the way forward, and i hope maybee you can point me in the right direction in to choosing an operating system and so on that best suits my hardware. Regards L150  o_O

i had never even seen any rig running linux befor i i tryed dabien sarge and it installed w/o a hitch :) there is also a grate how-to at www.aboutdabien.com or .net (i cant remember) that tells you how to set up a ton of servers. sence i got it i have started a small network on a bunch of old PC's all with Intell P2's and 3's and im running a ftp, web and e-mail servers on them.i haven't seen anyother distro other than knopix (wich is dabien based) but i am in love :P .

gus

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="seeno" data-cite="seeno" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="1715" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>nop, i have it on my P3 laptop,  forgot the cpu's GHz, but it's between 2.5-7.. gnome (the graphical user interface) runs smoothly and pretty fast, oh, and that's with 512 MB of RAM, it realy depends on your RAM+CPU.. and you could use a lightweight GUI like blackbox or fluxbox.

What would you say is the minimum of ram? before lagging? im running 256mb what you think? regards L150 o_O

</div></blockquote>
sorry i took so long to reply, didn't notice there were new posts.

256 MB of RAM is the recommended amount for the graphical fedora install the minimum amount for a graphical install is 192 MB, take a look at the fedora core 4 release notes.

These numbers are taken from the release notes of the fedora core 4 distro.