Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
installing fedora core 4

hi mates

i am currently running a winxp suse 9.3 dual boot. my hd is partitioned this way:

winxp: 8.4 gb ntfs (disc c: in windows)

swap: 512 mb

linux ext2 (suse): 6.2 gb

and a fat32 partition (d: in windows)

what i want to do now is reinstall windows xp in c: and then install fedora core 4 in the linux ext2 partition as dual boot.

do u think its easy to be done with the current partition scheme?

will i be able to dual boot?

also i have two xtra hds (now ntfs but soon fat32) on which i want to read and write data through linux. will i have any trouble doing that or will the fc4 install do it for me?

id like to state that i m gonna use fedora mostly for multimedia ( video & mp3) & internet ( irc, museek & firefox).

xp and fedora dual boot very fine together as long as you install xp first and then fedora

let grub manage the dual boot, and all will be fine

good luck

cheers

anyweb

thanks for the reply

i have to state that this forum has been the biggest help so far for a linux n00b like me

:)

what about the mounting of the drives?

will grub take care of it too or will i have to mount em myself afterwards? i read the topic refering to this issue but i have tobe sure that grub wont mess with the data currently on d: and the other two disks

You'll have to mount the drive yourself, but we can always help you with that! :)

Quote:what about the mounting of the drives?will grub take care of it too or will i have to mount em myself afterwards? i read the topic refering to this issue but i have tobe sure that grub wont mess with the data currently on d: and the other two disks

grub is only used to boot the device, the 'D' drive (second harddisks under linux gain names like hdb, sdb) won't be altered by grub. it could only be altered by you during the installation of the distribution.

right..

the installation was a success (at least i hope so)

downloaded some addtional packages (d4x, xmms,flash for firefox,flashgot,mplayer,apt)

updated them through yum with "# yum upate" and now using the updated kernel.

now i got some questions..

1) i installed mplayer using "#yum install mplayer" but cant seem to find mplayer on the menu. whatcan i do about it?

2) how does apt work?

3) how do i mount the hd's to read and write through linux?

also how do i see my current partition scheme?

:)

no.1 question is solved mplayer succesfully configured :)

same for no.3 answered here

well as it seems with some reading problems like the above three questions can be easily solved

as i understood these are some of the new linux user common questions

now i got a real pain in the ass problem

i'd apreciate any help i can get:

i wanna install this app: [/url][url=http://thegraveyard.org/daelstorm/museek.php]http://thegraveyard.org/daelstorm/museek.php

its called museek and its a soulseek client for Linux

Quote:2) how does apt work?

it works just like yum really.. handles the deps etc .. and installs the packages. as was pointed out to me in another discussion, the use of both apt and yum at the same times shouldn't be done. choose one and stick with it :)

Quote:i'd apreciate any help i can get: 

i wanna install this app: [/url][url=http://thegraveyard.org/daelstorm/museek.php]http://thegraveyard.org/daelstorm/museek.php

its called museek and its a soulseek client for Linux

feel like rebuilding an alien rpm?

museek-0.0.040714-1.695.1plf.src.rpm

install srpm, rebuild from spec:

Code:
$ rpm -i foo-x.y.z-wjpp.nosrc.rpm
$ rpmbuild -ba rpm/SPECS/foo.spec

Quote:also i have two xtra hds (now ntfs but soon fat32) on which i want to read and write data through linux.

Does this mean I have to make my ntfs hardrive, which I just got, Fat32? If so, will Fedora's setup allow me to do to that?

Also, I have been seeing something different when I boot from the FC4 cd to install it onto my second HD. It goes to a DR-DOS A:/. Is this because I don't have a FAT32 HD ready, or am I suppose to begin with the installation in DR-DOS with some manual commands to get it going.

Thanks for any help : )