Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux is slow

Here's the thing...

My wife has been using a 200mhz computer running Windows 95 for some time. Last week it died on her.

Someone had given me a 500mhz system 128 meg of RAM so I figured to upgrade her. (Yeah not much of an upgrade but free and I'm poor).

It already had Windows 2000 on it and I installed Firefox and OOo and it worked fine except when I tried to use MicroSoft update I got told that I couldn't. Now I know there's a workaround for this, but I don't want to be a pirate so I format and do a Fedora Core 4 desktop install. Get everything working and everyone is happy right...

Not quite.

Everything works but everything takes FOREVER to open. 2 munutes or more for Firefox. Over 3 minutes for OOo. Evolution anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes. Even small games like freecell take over a minute to open. Heck, a terminal windows takes over a minute to open. Additionally switching between aps takes forever as well. I can't think of why this should be.

Ok so here's the questions...

1. Is there a way I can speed up Core 4 to work for her?

if not ...

2. What distro would someone suggest keeping in mind she needs the following apps.

a)OpenOffice.org

b)Email client (Preferly Evolution)

c)Firefox

d)gnuCash

Other things may be needed as well but I haven't identified them yet. Those are the biggies though. Samba is needed to the extent that she needs to attatch to other computers on the network for printing and shared files, though as I move more of my computers (All free and between 200 and 800 mhz) to linux it won't be as important.

Also, she uses a wireless Xterasys PCI network card that I may or may not be able to make work with the 2.4 kernel.

Ok so any Ideas would be appreciated on making this system usable.

Hi,

First of all you need more RAM, even microsoft windows XP wouldnt run better with 128 ram, second you can try removing services that you dont need using setup command from a root console and choosing "System services"(requires a reboot).

You didnt write what desktop system you used kde or gnome ?

Gnome would be more faster than kde on that system.

If none of those work you can try using an older FC like fc 2 or 1.

Hi,

you could try the tweak anyweb posted a few days ago:

[/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php...=1721&hl=hdparm][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php...=1721&hl=hdparm]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php...=1721&hl=hdparm

also you could try use a lighter windows manager such as fluxbox or blackbox

to reduce the processing.

If you are not happy with the above try using Slackware or Gentoo.

Yep using gnome although I've also installed KDE as an option as well.

I don't know about Windows XP but Windows 2000 worked great no problems responded very quickly. Unfortunately updating the ram isn't an option right now.

Setup command?

Are FC 2 and 1 Kernel 2.4 or 2.6? What kind of functionality would I lose by going with FC 2 or 1 instead of FC 4?

I'll give anyweb's tweak a try and let you know how it works.

What functionality would I lose by using fluxbox or blackbox?

Slackware and Gentoo should run quicker?

i'd agree with kobras

your problem is not enough ram, plain and simple

Fedora 4 needs 256 mb ram to be smooth, unless of course you don't want a gui

read this link to see what i mean

[/url][url=http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/#id2498114]http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/#id2498114

Quote:3.3. Memory Requirements 

This section lists the memory required to install Fedora Core 4.

This list is for 32-bit x86 systems:

Minimum for text-mode: 64MB

Minimum for graphical: 192MB

Recommended for graphical: 256MB

This list is for 64-bit x86_64 systems:

Minimum for text-mode: 128MB

Minimum for graphical: 256MB

Recommended for graphical: 512MB
so, go out and buy another 128mb ram, its not expensive nowadays

if you cant add more ram then please let us know why

one other thing that might be causing your issues is weird hostnames specified in hosts

/etc/hosts

did you change that file in any way ?

when you start an app do you see the hard disc chugging away for a long time ?

cheers

anyweb

Ok... My problem is not enough RAM for Fedora Core 4. I checked and it appears I don't meet the requirements for FC 3 or FC 2 Either.

Unfortunately buying another 128 meg of ram is not an option. I would have to buy 256 meg of ram since the computer has 2 dimm slots and 2 64s are currently in them. And believe it or not, I quite honestly can not afford the 25 to 50 dollars that would cost me.

So I have to look to other options. I have a legal copy of Windows 98 I could install on it. That is the last option I want to take. I know it would work though.

Is Slackware or Gentoo going to be an option? Or will I be running into the same situation?

I didn't change /etc/hosts any any way I'm aware of and I'll check for hard disk chugging when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the help... can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

With everyone focusing on the memory issue, here's another thing I'd like to ask: Did you allocate any space for swap? It is imperative that you have at least 512 MB for swap.

I've had problems where Fedora Core 4 is slow in certain respects. I would recommend trying Ubuntu (www.ubuntulinux.org). They even ship you a CD for FREE, although I would recommend downloading via BitTorrent (to help put P2P in a better light). Furthermore, the install CD also serves as a live CD, so you can get a feel of it before you actually install it. If you do choose to use this distribution, I would recommend reading www.ubuntuguide.org

So... why I like Ubuntu:

More packages to choose from (even the ones that are not so legal)

Faster boot (text-only, though)

I'm glad that you have chosen the economical upgrade route. With Linux, you will definitely get the most out of the 500 MHz machine!

Quote:Not quite. 

Everything works but everything takes FOREVER to open.  2 munutes or more for Firefox.  Over 3 minutes for OOo.  Evolution anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes.  Even small games like freecell take over a minute to open.  Heck, a terminal windows takes over a minute to open.  Additionally switching between aps takes forever as well. I can't think of why this should be.

Oh nice, unfortunately issues like this can take place with RPM based distributions on older hardware. The reason for this is memory (as suggested 128Mb is on the low side) and that RPM's are now getting built to i686 (500Mhz is most likely a i586), this means that the RPM isn't optimized for you system (and hence a little more processor/memory hungry).

Quote:Ok so here's the questions...1.  Is there a way I can speed up Core 4 to work for her?

Yes, removal of services is one, no doubt a lot of services are running that she simply won't need. Stripping down the eye-candy on the desktop can help, altering the window manager to a lighter model can assist too (notice some other wm's will still work within KDE/Gnome).

Quote:if not ...2.  What distro would someone suggest keeping in mind she needs the following apps.

a)OpenOffice.org

b)Email client (Preferly Evolution)

c)Firefox

d)gnuCash

Ubuntu (which is a Debian variant) worked great on a 333Mhz with 128Mb RAM. One of the benefits of debian based systems it that they LOVE older hardware. You can run all those on ubuntu.

Quote:Also, she uses a wireless Xterasys PCI network card that I may or may not be able to make work with the 2.4 kernel.

This of course is a question of the kernel used by the distribution, in all honesty not got a clue if ubuntu works with it, check out their forums.

Quote:With everyone focusing on the memory issue, here's another thing I'd like to ask: Did you allocate any space for swap?  It is imperative that you have at least 512 MB for swap.

:) hell yeah dasunst3r!

Quote:I've had problems where Fedora Core 4 is slow in certain respects.  I would recommend trying Ubuntu (www.ubuntulinux.org).  They even ship you a CD for FREE, although I would recommend downloading via BitTorrent (to help put P2P in a better light).  Furthermore, the install CD also serves as a live CD, so you can get a feel of it before you actually install it.  If you do choose to use this distribution, I would recommend reading www.ubuntuguide.org

B) i agree.. ubuntu is the way

Quote:So... why I like Ubuntu:More packages to choose from (even the ones that are not so legal)

Faster boot (text-only, though)

I'm glad that you have chosen the economical upgrade route.  With Linux, you will definitely get the most out of the 500 MHz machine!

dasunst3r thats some great points and i back you up completely.. ;)

Thought I would add one more piece of stupidity to this.

When I did the Core 4 install I just used default parameters. Apparently on the install it automatically chose to set up some type of software raid for the 3 hard drives using some type of virtual file system and then installed on top of that. ;-) WOW very nice that it does that and can do it automatically and I can't believe that I didn't notice it doing it (I was in a hurry).

On the other hand, I've got to believe that although it's an awesome feature, a 500 mhz Celeron with only 128 meg of ram isn't going to be able to handle the overhead involved for a software raid.

So here comes a format. I guess I'll give ubuntu a shot, although I have to imagine even if I reinstall Core 4, if I get that software raid off there it'll do better or am I wrong?

Quote:Thought I would add one more piece of stupidity to this. 

When I did the Core 4 install I just used default parameters.  Apparently on the install it automatically chose to set up some type of software raid for the 3 hard drives using some type of virtual file system and then installed on top of that.  ;-)  WOW very nice that it does that and can do it automatically and I can't believe that I didn't notice it doing it (I was in a hurry).

On the other hand, I've got to believe that although it's an awesome feature, a 500 mhz Celeron with only 128 meg of ram isn't going to be able to handle the overhead involved  for a software raid.

So here comes a format.  I guess I'll give ubuntu a shot, although I have to imagine even if I reinstall Core 4, if I get that software raid off there it'll do better or am I wrong?

There's no doubt that you'll be doing better. Don't forget to back up your data, and once you're in Ubuntu, be sure to look at www.ubuntuguide.org