Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FC4, Nvidia Geforce4 issues.. :(

Well, I've been playing with FC4 for the past 3-4 days now. I'm very new to linux and esp Fedora. Anyway, I have one of the horrable to configure Compaq Presario R3000 series laptops. It has a AMD 64 bit proc and a Nvidia Geforce 4 Go video card.

I assume that I have installed the 64bit version of FC4, however when I downloaded and attempted to install the AMDx_64 drivers, it says I do not have a 64bit version of Fedora installed and ends. I'm able to install the 32bit drivers, but can't seem to use them. I mod the config file in /etc/x11/xorg.conf and comment out the Load 'dri' like this:

Section "Module"

Load "dbe"

Load "extmod"

Load "fbdevhw"

Load "glx"

Load "record"

Load "freetype"

Load "type1"

# Load "dri"

Then change the 'nv' to 'nvidia' and reboot.

The X server will not start, but I can see the little Nvidia logo flash. I have to re-config the x server to be able to restart a x session.

So, my question is. What can I do to check if I indeed have the 64bit Fedora Core 4 version installed? Next, why can't I use the 64bit drivers if it is the 64bit disrto?

noob@linux --help

as root what does

Code:
uname -a

report ?

Code:
Linux 66-117-169-41.dls.net 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 #1 Thu Jun 2 22:55:56 EDT 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Yeah, I thought I had the 64bit version installed cuz I downloaded the 64bit ISO's.

guess not..

Anyway. I'm able to install the 32bit drivers, but it still will not work after I mod the xorg.conf file.. Is the default Geforce 4 driver good enoff? Or is it worth figuring out how to install the latest nvidia drivers?

looks like you are running the 32 bit version

the nvidia drivers are really only useful for installing if you are planning on playing games etc

the default nvidia drivers work fine for most stuff

cheers

anyweb