Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
problem with forum

well, for as long as i can remember when a new message is posted the "new post" forum icon appears (more color), well, when i read the new post(s) and go strait back to the index the forum icon still appears as there are new posts, i have to click on the specified forum and then go back to the index for it to disappear.

(not so important, i agree, but i'm obsessed with details :P)

could be your linux-noob.com cookie, try deleting it and see does the problem go away

cheers

anyweb

Quote:well, for as long as i can remember when a new message is posted the "new post" forum icon appears (more color), well, when i read the new post(s) and go strait back to the index the forum icon still appears as there are new posts, i have to click on the specified forum and then go back to the index for it to disappear. 

(not so important, i agree, but i'm obsessed with details :P)

do you push the back button.. or click to go back?

also your browser could be caching .

no, i click the link to the forum index, and i'm using firefox.

so you guys don't have that problem?

EDIT: also, i keep the cookies for a long time, so i don't have to login again, might that be cause?

Quote:no, i click the link to the forum index, and i'm using firefox.so you guys don't have that problem?

EDIT: also, i keep the cookies for a long time, so i don't have to login again, might that be cause?

i do the same never had an issue :/ firefox+win or firefox+lin? (im linux)

heh, win/firefox fedora/firefox freebsd/firefox.. all the same. :P

Quote:heh, win/firefox fedora/firefox freebsd/firefox.. all the same. :P

heheh B) must be something in our browsing styles, walk me through an example and I'll test it out

ok, this is a new one, it seems that this forum (site look and feel, suggestions, problems, whatever..) is having it's own pattern, you posted a reply and the forum icon didn't "light", you know, it didn't have solid colors, but when i'm in that forum the topic is "lit" (solid colors).

now this is only for the (site look and feel, suggestions, problems, whatever..) forum, on other forums here's what happens..

i type the url in my browser, look for new posts in the main index, click the forum that has a new post, look for the topic that has the new post, click it, read read read, click the forum index link (linux-noob.com/forums) and i'm sure there are no other new topics and/or posts in that forum, but the forum index shows a lit icon next to the forum i just read.

i would attach a video to make it clear but that would be over reacting. :P

Quote:ok, this is a new one, it seems that this forum (site look and feel, suggestions, problems, whatever..) is having it's own pattern, you posted a reply and the forum icon didn't "light", you know, it didn't have solid colors, but when i'm in that forum the topic is "lit" (solid colors).

[img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ohmy.png[/img] wow.. it does exactly what you said ... now that is weird.. hehe

Quote:now this is only for the (site look and feel, suggestions, problems, whatever..) forum, on other forums here's what happens.. 

i type the url in my browser, look for new posts in the main index, click the forum that has a new post, look for the topic that has the new post, click it, read read read, click the forum index link (linux-noob.com/forums) and i'm sure there are no other new topics and/or posts in that forum, but the forum index shows a lit icon next to the forum i just read.

ok .. doing it this way.. yes it doesn't dim the topic after reading :/ personally i click on the "New Posts" and then open the new ones individually and then "mark all forums as read"...

there must be something about the fact that you are staying logged in that it unable to update the timestamp from when you have read a topic.

maybe the login point timestamps and its used as a measure of if you have read or not..

clicking on the "mark forums as read" must reprompt for a new timestamp..

hrrmmm what to do :)

Quote:i would attach a video to make it clear but that would be over reacting. :P

heheh yah no doubt :P

i wouldn't worry about it

have a beer instead

cheers

anyweb